E-Trade is a popular online broker for a reason: The company offers several trade platforms, a wealth of research and educational tools and a large selection of commission-free ETFs and transaction-fee-free mutual funds. Its commission structure is easy to navigate, and favors traders who make at least 30 trades per quarter.
» Check out our 2018 E-Trade review
Key facts on E-Trade fees
- E-Trade’s tiered commission structure offers discounted rates to frequent traders. Those who trade at least 30 times per quarter qualify for $4.95 commissions. For fewer than 30 trades, commissions are $6.95.
- Even for active traders, commissions are higher than those at many other brokerages. E-Trade does offer a large selection of transaction-fee-free mutual funds and commission-free ETFs, generally not available from discount brokers.
- E-Trade’s Pro trading platform is available only to customers who maintain at least a $250,000 account balance or execute at least 30 stock or options trades per quarter, but two other platforms are available to all investors, including E-Trade’s advanced platform OptionsHouse, where investors can trade stocks, options, ETFs and futures.
- There are no minimum trade requirements or inactivity fees.
- The company’s account minimum is $500 for brokerage accounts and $0 for IRA accounts.
» Compare the top online brokers of 2018
Here’s an overview of E-Trade’s commission and fee structure:
|Commission for stocks, options and ETFs||$6.95 for fewer than 30 trades per quarter|
$4.95 for 30+ trades per quarter
|150+ commission-free ETFs|
|Commission-free ETF short-term trading fee||$19.99 for 0-149 stock and options trades per quarter|
$15.99 for 150+ stock and options trades per quarter
|E-Trade may charge a fee for sales of ETFs held less than 30 days|
|Mutual funds||Transaction fee: $19.99|
Load funds: Load listed in prospectus
|4,400+ no-transaction-fee mutual funds|
|Mutual fund short-term redemption fee||$49.99||Charged on redemptions or exchanges of no-load, no-transaction-fee funds held less than 90 days|
|Options||$6.95 plus $0.75 for fewer than 30 trades per quarter|
$4.95 plus $0.50 for 30+ trades per quarter
|Options exercises and assignments||$4.95|
|Futures||$1.50 per contract, per side|
Bitcoin futures: $2.50 per contract, per side
|Plus exchange and regulatory fees|
|Margin rates||Base rate is 7.75%; rates range from 6.75% to 10.25%|
|Broker-assisted trades||$25 plus applicable commission|
|Extended-hours trading||$0.005 per share|
|Paper statements||$2 (some accounts exempted from fee)||Electronic statements are free|
|Outbound account transfer||$75 full account|
$25 partial account
|No partial transfer fee if remaining balance is greater than $5,000|
|Early withdrawal (before age 59-1/2) from retirement account||$25|
|Removal of excess retirement-account contribution||$25|
|Recharacterization of Roth IRA or traditional IRA contribution or conversion||$25|