E*TRADE is a popular online broker for a reason: The company offers several trade platforms, a wealth of research and educational tools, commission-free trades of stocks, exchange-traded funds and options, and a large selection of transaction-fee-free mutual funds.
» Check out our full E*TRADE review
Key facts on E*TRADE fees
- E*TRADE charges no commission for online trades of stocks, ETFs and options. There is an options contract fee of $0.65 per contract.
- E*TRADE offers reduced options pricing for active traders — those who trade 30 or more times per quarter pay just $0.50 per contract.
- E*TRADE’s trading platforms — E*TRADE Web, Power E*TRADE and two mobile apps — are free and available to all customers, with no trade activity or balance minimums.
- There are no minimum trade requirements or inactivity fees.
- The company’s account minimum is $500 for brokerage accounts and $0 for IRA accounts.
» Compare the top online brokers for stock trading
Here’s an overview of E*TRADE’s commission and fee structure:
|Commission for stocks and ETFs||$0.|
|Mutual funds||Transaction fee: $19.99|
Load funds: Load listed in prospectus
|4,400+ no-transaction-fee mutual funds|
|Mutual fund short-term redemption fee||$49.99||Charged on redemptions or exchanges of no-load, no-transaction-fee funds held less than 90 days|
|Options||No base commission; $0.65 per contract. Active traders pay $0.50 per contract. |
|Futures||$1.50 per contract, per side|
Bitcoin futures: $2.50 per contract, per side
|Plus exchange and regulatory fees|
|Margin rates||7% to 10.50%|
|Extended-hours trading||$0.005 per share|
|Paper statements||$2 (some accounts exempted from fee)||Electronic statements are free|
|Outbound account transfer||$75 full account; $25 partial account||No partial transfer fee if remaining balance is greater than $5,000|
|Early withdrawal (before age 59-1/2) from retirement account||$25|
|Removal of excess retirement-account contribution||$25|
|Recharacterization of Roth IRA or traditional IRA contribution or conversion||$25|