NerdWallet rating: 4.5 / 5.0
Good for: Good credit, debt consolidation
Citibank is one of the few large national banks that make personal loans, chiefly to borrowers with good credit.
The Citibank personal loan is a good fit for those who have:
- A good credit score. Citibank did not give NerdWallet details about its minimum credit requirements, but it typically lends to “prime” customers, according to the bank’s public filings.
- An existing Citibank account. Checking account customers can apply for higher loan amounts and get a discount for making automatic loan payments.
- A Citibank branch nearby. Existing customers and those who receive pre-approved offers in the mail can apply online. New customers may have to visit a branch during the application process to provide documents.
Citibank at a glance
|Typical annual percentage rate||Varies; 7.99% to 16.49% for a $10,000, 3-year loan|
|Time to funding||5 business days|
|Soft credit check with application?||No|
Clicking “Check rates” will take you to the Citibank site for an online application.
Citibank personal loan review
To review Citibank, NerdWallet collected data from the website, made calls to five branches around the country and compared the lender with others that seek the same customers or offer a similar product. Loan terms and fees may vary by state.
Citibank didn’t provide NerdWallet its minimum requirements for credit score, debt-to-income ratio or other underwriting factors. The minimum annual income requirement is $10,500, according to its website.
NerdWallet made calls to five Citibank branches around the country and found that a score of 680 and above is generally considered favorable for application, although it’s not a hard requirement.
Citibank’s website has a sample rate range of 7.99% to 16.49% for a $10,000, three-year loan, but your actual rate could be lower or higher depending on how much you borrow, your income and debt levels, the state you live in and how much money you keep in a Citibank deposit account.
Existing customers can apply and receive funds online and get a small rate discount for setting up automatic payments from their checking account. Customers who have enrolled their accounts in Citibank’s rewards program can earn ThankYou points through a personal loan account.
Citibank also offers a personal line of credit, which is not the same as a personal loan.
» MORE: Reviews of Citibank accounts
How Citibank compares
Citibank is one of a handful of lenders that accept joint applications, where credit scores and incomes of two people are considered in underwriting decisions. For those who want to consolidate debt with a personal loan, some Citibank branches may offer the option of sending money directly to your creditors, which not all lenders do. Direct payment increases the odds of successful debt consolidation.
Compare personal loans from major lenders
|Free credit scores||Yes*||Yes||Yes|
|Direct payment of creditors||Varies||Yes||Yes|
How to apply for a Citibank loan
Only existing customers and those who get offers in the mail can fill out an online application on Citibank’s website. New customers must visit a branch to get the process started. (The bank has more than 1,000 U.S. branches, but they are concentrated in a few states.) Citibank conducts a hard credit check when you apply, which can affect your credit score.
If you want to compare an offer from Citibank with those from other lenders, you can check rates with multiple lenders on NerdWallet using the button below. NerdWallet will check its lender marketplace and display the loans for which you qualify, so you can compare rates in one place. Checking your rates won’t affect your credit score.
Minimum requirements for a Citibank loan
- Minimum credit score required: Not provided, but typically above 680
- Minimum gross income required: $10,500
- Minimum credit history: Not provided
- Maximum debt-to-income ratio: Not provided
Citibank’s lending terms
- APR range: Varies
- Loan amount:
- $2,000 to $50,000 (up to $30,000 online) for existing customers
- $2,000 to $12,500 for new customers
- Loan duration: One to five years
- Time to receive funds: Five business days
Citibank’s fees and penalties
- Origination fee: None
- Prepayment fee: None
- Late fee: Varies
- Personal-check processing fee: None
- Returned payment fee: Not provided
- Learn how personal loans work
- 4 ways to consolidate credit card debt
- Read more personal loan reviews
PERSONAL LOANS RATINGS METHODOLOGY
NerdWallet’s ratings for personal loans awards points to lenders that offer consumer-friendly features, including soft credit checks, no origination fees, payment options, short time to funding, interest rate caps of 36% and absence of prepayment penalties. Features are considered for their positive impact on consumers’ credit history and financial health. To ensure accuracy and consistency, our ratings are reviewed by multiple people on the NerdWallet Personal Loans team.
— Among the very best for consumer-friendly features
— Excellent; offers most consumer-friendly features
— Very good; offers many consumer-friendly features
— Good; may not offer something important to you
— Fair; missing important consumer-friendly features
— Poor; proceed with great caution