Delta Air Lines is adding two extra boarding groups that coincide with the fare the traveler purchased.
The goal is for fewer people to be standing at the gate at once, making boarding faster. But it’s also to provide a subtle message that buying premium level seats come with perks, such as boarding sooner.
» Learn More: Find the best airline credit card for you
The details of Delta’s new boarding policy
- The new boarding process begins on Jan. 23, 2019, no matter when you purchased your ticket.
- One of three colors will be shown on your boarding pass: blue, red or purple. Purple is used only on flights with Delta One premium service. Red is for first class and Sky Priority customers. Blue indicates economy, and premium economy seats with extra legroom have a different shade of blue. People with disabilities or those who need extra boarding assistance are unaffected by the color system and still board early.
- Economy passengers, who pay the lowest fares, still board last. Delta Medallion members, the highest level of Delta’s frequent flyer program, will always board in the first group.
- Basic economy passengers will receive a notice during the booking process about potentially checking carry-ons free of charge at the gate in case overhead space becomes limited.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2020, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Delta SkyMiles program: The complete guide
Delta debuts starter card for infrequent travelers
Delta eliminates Single Visit Pass for the Sky Club Lounge