If you’re under 25 years of age and want to rent a car, there are options— but they can be pricey because many companies have an underage- or young-driver surcharge. However, there’s a way to avoid the fee through a little-known perk offered by a loyalty program.
Rental car company Hertz has a partnership with AAA, which helps you avoid underage driver fees. You’d need to be a member of AAA, but the perk can help cover the membership fee for the loyalty program. So take advantage of the benefit if you’re under 25 or if you know someone under 25 who needs a rental car.
AAA membership rates vary based on where you live and the level of coverage; the annual cost of its Classic, or basic, membership plan ranges from $38 to $74. And the underage-driver fee for Hertz vehicles vary by location.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2020, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards Visa® credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Young small business travelers spend more than older counterparts
6 secrets from flight crews to stave off travel exhaustion
9 easy ways to earn travel rewards you’ll actually use