The thing about earning airline miles is you have to, you know, earn them.
Fly, shop, use a co-branded credit card — they’re all good ways to work toward free travel. But this year, once again, Delta Air Lines is offering Washington residents the best way yet to collect miles: Let the Seattle Seahawks earn them for you.
During the 2018 NFL season, for every passing yard the Seahawks accumulate during a home or away game, Delta will deposit one mile into the SkyMiles account of 12status members. A 12status member is just a Delta SkyMiles member who lives in Washington state and who has signed up for the 12status program.
If you participated last year, you must re-enroll to earn miles for the 2018-19 season. If you’re not already signed up for SkyMiles, do that first. Registration for both programs is free.
Once you’re enrolled in 12status for 2018, every passing yard the Seahawks rack up automatically gets you a Delta SkyMile added to your account within 48 hours of the game’s end.
Last year the Seahawks threw for over 3,657 passing yards, making the 12status promotion a great way to earn miles by doing nothing at all.
But the perks don’t stop there. Washington-based SkyMiles members signed up for the 12status program get priority boarding on every Delta flight out of Seattle–Tacoma International Airport through Feb. 3, 2019. Just bring your 12status membership card to show at boarding.
The miles you earn through the 12status Seahawks promotion do not count toward Medallion or Million Miler Status with Delta. But they’re redeemable for a whole range of flights and other travel options and, like all your SkyMiles, they never expire.
You only earn miles for passing yards gained after you sign up — no retroactive credits. So, get in the game now. Even if you’re not a football fan, this is a set-it-and-forget-it opportunity to earn Delta travel.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Travel rewards bucket list: Showering on a plane
Fall 2018 hotel points promotions: Which ones are worth your time?
How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season