Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
A car insurance policy can consist of multiple parts, each paying for a different type of problem. If you don’t understand all the parts, you might not know what your current policy covers. And that sets you up for a bad surprise if you’re in a car accident.
To help identify your knowledge gaps, see if you can answer these 10 questions correctly:
1. Let’s say you’re driving down a road one night when suddenly a deer appears, and you hit it. What type of insurance pays for the repairs to your car?
A. Gap insurance B. Comprehensive insurance C. Hit-and-run insurance
2. Word scramble! This kind of car insurance pays for the damage you do to others: BILAYLITI
3. If you were in a car accident yesterday, can you buy insurance for it today?
A. Yes B. No C. Maybe, depending on local laws
4. What’s the name of the insurance that pays your medical bills if someone crashes into you and they don’t have auto insurance?
A. Gap insurance B. Collision insurance C. Uninsured motorist coverage
5. Which one of these is never a factor in car insurance rates?
A. Where you went to college B. Your religion C. Your credit D. Whether you own a home
6. Insurance has a lot of acronyms. Maybe too many. What’s PIP?
A. Personal injury protection B. Private insurance for passengers C. Property insurance penalty
7. Could you be the insurance policyholder for your mother’s car?
A. Yes B. No
8. Imagine your car slides on ice, hits a tree and has substantial front damage. What type of car insurance pays for repairs?
A. Collision insurance B. Roadside assistance coverage C. Comprehensive insurance
9. Fill in the blanks with the correct word choices: If you drive your friend’s car and crash it, (1) insurance will be tapped first to pay for damages and he will be (2) .
1. Your/His 2. Happy/Mad
10. Last one. How about a little Hangman: If you have an unresolved complaint about your car insurance company, who should you call?
__ T__TE __ N __ U __ __ N __ E DE __ __ __ T __ ENT
How did you do?
0-4 right: It’s worth checking your car insurance policy to make sure you understand what you bought — and didn’t buy.
5-7 right: Not too bad, but consider reviewing your car insurance policy with someone more knowledgeable.
8-9 right: You have a good handle on the basics.
10 right: We assume you’re an insurance agent.
Thanks for playing!