Filling Out the FAFSA: My Parents are Divorced

If your parents are divorced, list financial information for the parent you've lived with most in the least year.
Anna Helhoski
By Anna Helhoski 

Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This influences which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.

The FAFSA treats divorced parents differently than married parents. If you have divorced parents, you should list the financial information for the parent you have lived with most in the past 12 months. This parent is known as your "custodial parent".

If your custodial parent is remarried as of when you submit your FAFSA, include your stepparent’s financial information as well.

Steps for filling out the FAFSA for students with divorced parents

  1. Determine which parent is your custodial parent. If your parents have joint custody of you, the custodial parent is the parent you have spent the most time living with in the past 12 months or, if you split time evenly, then include the information of the parent that provided the most financial support in the previous 12 months.

  2. Fill out the FAFSA with your custodial parent’s information and your stepparent, if you have one.

  3. Include any child support or alimony paid to your custodial parent.

  4. When the FAFSA asks about your parents’ education level, answer for your birth parents or adoptive parents. Your stepparent is not considered your parent for these two questions.

Spot your saving opportunities
See your spending breakdown to show your top spending trends and where you can cut back.