If you’ve been waiting for an opportunity to travel abroad, British Airways is offering a deal to help you get there. The airline has extended an exclusive offer to British Airways Visa Signature® Card holders: Save 10% on select British Airways and OpenSkies flights commencing before Dec. 31, 2016.
As with many deals, you’ll need to read the fine print to make sure you get it. Read on to learn more about the offer and other reasons you might want to consider the British Airways Visa Signature® Card.
According to British Airways, U.S. residents with the British Airways Visa Signature® Card can snag the 10% discount for themselves and up to eight friends and family members by booking their flight through the deal page and entering the promo code CARDOFFERU during checkout. Here are the conditions you need to know:
- To be eligible for the discount, a trip must start with a leg from the U.S. to London.
- You can choose from any of British Airways’ 180 worldwide destinations, but for OpenSkies, the discount works only on flights from New York/Newark to Paris Orly.
- The discount applies to the total round-trip price, including taxes, fees and carrier charges. It does not apply to excess baggage fees, seat assignment fees, purchasing Avios for rewards or rewards fees.
- Round-trip open-jaw bookings — such as an outbound flight from New York to London and a return flight from Paris to New York — are eligible for only one discount.
Why you should consider the British Airways Visa Signature® Card
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card is a solid choice for both international and domestic jet-setters alike. Here are some of the main features of the card:
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
- Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend $10,000 on purchases or 50,000 bonus Avios when you spend a total of $20,000 on purchases within your first year.
- Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios per $1 spent elsewhere.
- Receive a Travel Together Ticket good for two years if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- $95 annual fee.
British Airways Avios — the carrier’s rewards points — are worth an average of 1.6 cents each when traveling internationally. They’re also valuable for domestic travel, even though the airline doesn’t fly U.S. domestic routes. Its partnership with American Airlines through the OneWorld alliance allows U.S. domestic travelers to fly starting at 4,500 Avios on short routes, though that minimum will increase to 7,500 Avios on February 2, 2016.
Nerd note: Keep in mind that international British Airways flights can often carry hefty fuel surcharges, which can destroy the value of your Avios. If you’re using Avios to fly to Europe and beyond, check out some of the airline’s OneWorld partners to see whether they offer the same routes without the surcharge.
The bottom line
Flying overseas can get expensive. If you’re already planning a trip, British Airways’ 10% discount can cut your costs significantly, especially if you’re traveling with a group. If you don’t already have the British Airways Visa Signature® Card, see our full review of the card to learn more and apply.
Image via iStock.