Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and you’ve probably already planned out how you’re going to dress to impress your date. But have you given any thought to which credit card you should use to guarantee a second date?
The key is to pick a credit card that sends just the right message to your sweetie — you don’t want to come across as a show-off, but at the same time, your plastic should say something positive about who you are. If you’re not sure which one to go with, consider one of cards below.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardChase Sapphire Preferred® Card is one of the best travel credit cards out there in terms of rewards rate — if you book your travel through Chase, the value of each point you earn amounts to 1.25 cents, which is high by industry standards. Plus, the card offers a lot of other cool benefits:
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn two points per dollar spent on dining and travel and one point per dollar spent on everything else
- No foreign transaction fee
- Chip-and-signature technology
- $0 for the first year, then $95
What the card says about you: Because the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is made from an unusual material, you’ll definitely come across as funky and stylish. Plus, since the card gives you double points on dining and travel, your date will know that you like to get rewarded for having a good time. All-in-all, this card will say that you’re easygoing and fun, but also like to make the most of every dollar you spend on the things you enjoy.
The Platinum Card® from American ExpressThe Platinum Card® from American Express is not for the credit newbie. It’s a luxury credit card with a hefty annual fee of $550 — but with that expense comes some serious perks. For example:
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months. Terms Apply
- $200 annual airline fee and $200 annual Uber credit
- Complimentary access to more than 1,000 airport lounges worldwide
- 24/7 Concierge service — this service will assist you in making travel arrangements, buying gifts, and more
- Membership Rewards Program — this allows you to easily book your travel (flight, hotel, etc.) through the American Express Travel site
- No foreign transaction fee
What the card says about you: The Platinum Card® from American Express will let your date know that you have a taste for luxury and are willing to pay big bucks to get the most out of your shopping and travel experiences. But it also shows that you’re not arrogant or stuffy — you like the finer things, but not at the expense of practicality. After all, you need excellent credit to qualify for this card — no one who’s completely frivolous with their cash would be able to get it. If you think your date is looking for someone who’s responsible but still knows how to live it up, this is the card to use.
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American ExpressStarwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express is one of the best-known travel rewards cards out there, and for good reason: It has a generous signup bonus and a high rewards rate when you redeem your Starpoints at hotels. Plus, you’ll get some other sweet perks:
- Earn 25,000 Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Terms Apply.
- Redeem your Starpoints for free nights at more than 1,300 hotels worldwide
- Redeem your Starpoints for free flights on more than 150 airlines
- Ability to redeem Starpoints for gift cards instead of travel (the rewards rate is lower, but this can come in handy at the holidays)
- Annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $95
What the card says about you: Since the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express is widely known as a travel rewards credit card, your date will know you’re a world traveler when you swipe it. Again, though, it’s not flashy — you won’t come off as pompous when you throw the card down to pay for dinner. And dinner is likely to turn into coffee and dessert as you tell your date about all the exotic trips you’ve been on with your Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, so be sure to budget for a little extra this date to keep the conversation going.
A credit union card
Okay, this one sounds a little weird — but in our recent survey of single adults, a local credit union card was more likely to be rated as “impressive” than The Platinum Card® from American Express. Why? Well, credit union cards:
- Have lower interest rates
- Are issued by not-for-profit institutions that give back to the community
- Tend to have fewer fees and penalty interest rates
What the card says about you: You’re frugal. You don’t worry about glitz and glam — you’re more interested in building a solid financial future. You’re committed to your community (this is a great opportunity to bring up your roots if you’re an out-of-towner). Most of all, you’re in it for the long term.
The takeaway: When it comes to scoring a second date, it’s often the small things that matter most. If you want one date to turn into more this Valentine’s Day, be sure to use a credit card that sends the right message. Pick one of the cards above and you’ll be sure to make the right impression!
Heart origami image via Shutterstock