Aw nerds! Looks like this page may be out of date. Head over to our Best Travel Credit Cards page for updated info.
No matter where your travel takes you, it’s smart to have protection benefits in place in case of emergency or delay — like rental insurance, EMV technology and lost baggage coverage. Check out our favorite three travel rewards credit card offers for great travel protection.
Wells Fargo Propel 365 American Express® Card: Best for Wells Fargo banking customers
The Wells Fargo Propel 365 American Express® Card offers 3X points per dollar spent at U.S. gas stations, 2X points at U.S. restaurants and 1 point spent on all other purchases. There’s a signup bonus as well: Earn 20,000 bonus points when you spend $3,000 in net purchases in the first 3 months. Points are redeemable for travel, gift cards, cash, merchandise and more.
The Wells Fargo Propel 365 American Express® Card comes with a bunch of travel protection benefits, including:
- Auto rental collision and liability insurance: Coverage against damage or loss of a rental vehicle in the United States and Canada
- Lost luggage insurance: Reimbursement for essential items purchased because of an inconvenience due to lost luggage
- Travel accident insurance: Automatic travel accident insurance for traveling on common carriers
- Emergency assistance: 24/7 hotline for help with travel emergencies
- Complimentary 24/7 concierge: Help booking your trip, interpreting or finding an attraction
- Chip technology: EMV chip for safer transactions, domestically and internationally
The card’s $0 for the first year, then $45, and there are no foreign transaction fees. Wells Fargo banking customers will enjoy annual points bonuses of 10%, 25% or 50% on non-bonus rewards points.
Citi Prestige® Card: Best for big spenders with a taste for luxury
The Citi Prestige® Card offers 3 points for every dollar spent on airfare and hotels, 2 points for dining and entertainment, and 1 point for everything else. There’s also a signup bonus: Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening* Points can be redeemed for a multitude of things — including cash, gift cards, travel, merchandise and more.
The Citi Prestige® Card offers a host of travel protections, including:
- Travel and emergency assistance: Help with travel issues, emergency travel arrangements and more
- Worldwide travel accident insurance: Coverage in case a tragic accident occurs
- Lost baggage protection: Coverage of up to $3,000 per trip, per person for lost stolen or damaged baggage
- Trip delay protection: Coverage for unplanned expenses due to covered delays
- EMV chip technology: Safer transactions in the United States and overseas
The Citi Prestige® Card has an annual fee of $495, but no foreign transaction fees. The card also has an annual airline credit of $250, access to elite travel benefits and an annual points bonus for select Citi cardmembers.
Image via iStock.