Now you can earn Delta SkyMiles for rides a lot lower than 30,000 feet.
Delta has partnered with Lyft to offer extra SkyMiles to the rideshare service’s customers. You get the miles regardless of how you pay — although you could boost your earnings when you use the right credit card.
WHAT YOU GET
The Lyft-Delta partnership offers:
- 1 Delta SkyMile per dollar spent on eligible Lyft rides, with no limits
- Limited time offer (available through Aug. 31, 2017): 3 Delta SkyMiles per dollar spent on an eligible Lyft ride to or from one of these airports that Lyft serves
Aside from the SkyMiles, you can also nab up to $20 in Lyft credit if you’re new to the service. You’ll get one $10 credit after your first ride and another $10 credit after the second, as long as the rides are made within 60 days of signing up.
HOW TO EARN DELTA SKYMILES WITH LYFT
- Link your accounts online. Go to this website and follow the directions to link your Delta SkyMiles and Lyft accounts. Both accounts can be set up for free if you don’t have them already.
- Request a ride. Open the Lyft app on your smartphone and request rides as you normally would. You can earn Delta SkyMiles on any eligible Lyft ride, including Lyft Line, Classic, Plus and Premier.
- Get your miles. After completing your ride, the Delta SkyMiles will be deposited in your account within five business days, according to the program terms.
Boost earnings with a credit card
You can double-dip on Delta SkyMiles by paying for your ride with a card that earns Delta SkyMiles or points that can be transferred to Delta. Both Starwood Preferred Guest points and American Express Membership Rewards points can be transferred to Delta SkyMiles at a 1:1 ratio, for example. (Keep in mind you’ll have to pay an excise tax offset fee of 0.06 cent per point, with a maximum fee of $99, when transferring Membership Rewards points to Delta.)
Suppose you paid for a $20 Lyft ride with the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express. You could get 40 SkyMiles:
- 20 Delta SkyMiles from the Lyft-Delta partnership (1 mile per dollar spent)
- 20 Delta SkyMiles from your credit card (1 mile per dollar spent)
Since Delta SkyMiles are worth an average of 1.8 cents each, according to NerdWallet valuations, you’d be getting an effective 3.6% rewards rate.