Ever get a hot towel at the end of a long flight? It feels refreshing and perks you up. The same thing just happened to the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard®. The Barclays-issued card is being rejuvenated with new rewards and features. (Frontier still doesn’t offer hot towels, though.)
The most noteworthy addition is that every dollar spent on the card earns one qualifying mile toward elite status in the myFrontier frequent flyer program. That makes Frontier the only U.S. airline where you can earn elite status solely through credit card use.
Here’s what else is new:
- You now earn 5 miles per dollar on flights purchased online directly from Frontier; 3 miles per dollar at restaurants; and 1 mile per dollar on all other spending. (However, only 1 mile per dollar counts toward elite status.) Previously, it was 2 miles per dollar on Frontier flights and 1 mile per dollar on everything else.
- The card no longer has a foreign transaction fee.
- The annual fee goes from $69 to $79.
What remains the same:
- New cardmembers can earn 40,000 bonus miles after spending $500 on purchases in the first 90 days. That’s enough for up to two round-trip tickets before taxes and fees.
- You get a $100 flight voucher after every account anniversary if you spend $2,500 or more on purchases during the card membership year.
- The card has an introductory 0% APR offer on balance transfers for 15 billing cycles.
- There’s an award redemption fee waiver when you book an award ticket and pay related taxes and fees, starting at $5.60 for a one-way ticket.
Why this is a big improvement
Frontier Airlines is a low-cost carrier, which means the base fares are cheap, but there are extra charges for nearly everything, from carry-ons to checked baggage to seat assignments. But as you earn elite status, you start to pile on the freebies.
The more you spend on the card, the more cost-saving perks you get at each tier of elite status:
- Elite20k Status: Spending $20,000 on the card each calendar year earns benefits like a free carry-on bag and seat assignment.
- Elite50k Status: Spending $50,000 on the card earns all the benefits of Elite20k Status, plus such things as family seating and seat assignments for the cardmember and eight traveling companions on the same reservation.
- Elite100k Status: Spending $100,000 on the card annually will earn Frontier’s “the WORKS” bundle for you and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation. You’ll get free benefits including a checked bag, a carry-on bag, advance seat selection and priority boarding — and there’s no charge when you cancel a flight and reschedule.
This new combination of enhanced earning power and ability to earn elite status through card spending alone transforms this card from a “meh” to a “maybe-I-should-get-it” for those who regularly fly Frontier.