» This page is out of date
Offers described in this article are out of date. See our best credit cards page for up-to-date offers.
Think back to all the money lessons Mom taught you. You now get that part about money not growing on trees, right? That’s why you shouldn’t forgo credit card rewards just because you waited till the last minute to come up with something for Mother’s Day. Make Mom proud!
Mother’s Day shoppers expect to spend an average of about $186 for the occasion, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation. Earn a few bucks’ worth of rewards by using your credit cards strategically.
Rewards on dining
After flowers and greeting cards, the survey found that a “special outing such as dinner or brunch” was the most popular Mother’s Day plan. If you carry one of these cards that offer extra rewards at restaurants, don’t treat Mom without it:
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card earns 2 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 spent on dining at restaurants.
- The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card earns 2 ThankYou points per dollar spent on dining.
Earn cash back on any gift
A cash-back credit card is easy money — make a purchase, earn a portion back in cash. The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer, for example, offers 1% cash back on all purchases, then another 1% cash back when you pay them off. The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card, the Chase Freedom Unlimited® and the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card give you 1.5% cash back on everything.
Grabbing flowers, candy or a card for Mom at the grocery? Other cards are paying higher cash-back rates at grocery stores and other merchants where you might find a quick gift (all these cards pay 1% outside their bonus categories):
- The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 a year in spending, then 1%). The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express pays 3% at U.S. supermarkets (again, on up to $6,000 a year in spending, then 1%). Terms apply.
- The Chase Freedom® has supermarkets and drugstores as a 5% category in April, May and June of 2017 (on up to $1,500 in combined spending for the quarter, then 1%). Remember to opt in to the category if you haven’t yet.
- The Discover it® Cash Back offers 5% cash back at wholesale clubs and home improvement stores in April, May and June 2017 (on up to $1,500 per quarter in spending, then 1%). Remember to activate the category online.
- The BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ credit card offers 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and 3% at gas stations (on up to $2,500 in combined grocery/wholesale club/gas purchases each quarter, then 1%).
With the right game plan, you can celebrate Mom and earn some rewards in the process.