This page is out of date
If you’re a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest hotel loyalty program, the Nerds are here with some big news: Until April 15, 2015, you could be earning double your base Starpoints on eligible stays with the limited time Double Play promotion.
Ready to learn more about Double Play and how to make the most of it? Take a look at the details below for everything you need to know.
Starwood Double Play: The basics
Any chance to earn extra Starpoints is something to pay attention to. After all, the Nerds value Starpoints at 2.3 cents apiece when redeemed for hotel stays, so this is a very valuable travel rewards currency.
Starwood Preferred Guest typically runs a few promotions every year to help members build up their bank of Starpoints. Between Jan. 5 and April 15, 2015, Double Play will allow you to do just that. With it, you’ll earn double your base Starpoints on stays at participating Starwood properties – there is no limit to the extra Starpoints you’ll earn on these bookings.
As a reminder, you usually earn 2 Starpoints per dollar spent at Starwood hotels and resorts just for being a Starwood Preferred Guest member. With Double Play, you’ll earn 4 Starpoints per dollar spent.
Aside from doubling your base Starpoints earnings, you’ll also score 1,000 bonus Starpoints for every 5 nights you stay while Double Play is going on. You can earn these extra points up to 4 times.
To take advantage of Double Play, follow these steps:
- Register for Double Play here. You must register by March 31, 2015.
- Book a stay at a participating Starwood property between Jan. 5, 2015, and April 15, 2015. Your stay must be a minimum of 2 consecutive nights; you’ll automatically earn 4 Starpoints per dollar spent on your booking.
- If you book 5 nights (consecutive or non-consecutive) between Jan. 5, 2015, and April 15, 2015, you’ll automatically earn 1,000 bonus Starpoints. You can earn up to 4,000 extra Starpoints with this feature of the promotion.
Limitations and exclusions
Like every promotion, Starwood Double Play has some limitations and exclusions that you should be aware of. These include:
- You have to be a Starwood Preferred Guest member and register using the link above to earn double points on your stay; one or the other isn’t enough.
- Not all Starwood properties are taking part in Double Play. You won’t be able to earn extra Starpoints at more than 100 hotels and resorts worldwide, so check the list of properties that aren’t participating in Double Play here before booking your stay.
- If you have elite status in the Starwood Preferred Guest program, the extra point you usually get for every dollar you spend at Starwood properties isn’t eligible for doubling. Only the 2 base points you get for program membership are Double Play-qualified.
- You must be paying for your hotel stay in dollars in order to earn double points. In other words, a booking that you pay for with Starpoints isn’t eligible for Double Play.
Make the most of Starwood Double Play with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
In order to get the most bang for your buck during Double Play, it’s important to take the steps listed above and keep the exclusions and limitations in mind. But using the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express should also be a top priority.
With it, you’ll earn 2 Starpoints per dollar spent at Starwood properties, plus 1 Starpoint per dollar spent on all other purchases. This means you could be earning up to 5 points per dollar spent at Starwood hotels and resorts, depending on your status in the Starwood Preferred Guest program.
To be clear, the 2 points you’ll earn for using the card at Starwood hotels and resorts aren’t eligible for doubling during this promotion. Remember, only your base, non-elite points will be doubled. But booking your stay with the card will drive up the overall number of Starpoints you’re earning. By racking up as many as possible while you can, you could end up with a free stay or two on your hands this summer.
In addition to pumping up your Starpoints earning power when you swipe, the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express offers a signup bonus: Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Terms Apply. The annual fee is $0 for the first year, then $95.
Image via iStock.