Nationwide reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are above average for auto insurance shopping and property insurance claims.
- Fewer customer complaints than expected for home and auto insurance products.
- One-stop insurer offers most types of personal insurance policies.
Although it’s probably best known for car insurance, Nationwide offers many types of insurance and financial products. If you prefer to bundle insurance products with a financially strong company, Nationwide might be a good fit.
Nationwide auto insurance
Nationwide auto insurance earned 4.0 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Nationwide offers all that you would expect from an auto insurer, plus a few additional options and perks:
- Gap insurance pays the difference between the cash value of your car when it was totaled or stolen and the amount of money left on your loan or lease. This insurance may be required by your lender, and you must purchase comprehensive and collision coverage to get it.
- Vanishing Deductible: This optional program allows you to chip away at your deductible by driving safely. For every year you don’t have an accident, your deductible goes down by $100, up to a $500 reduction.
- On Your Side Review: Every year and after a major life event, you can take advantage of a free assessment by one of Nationwide’s agents to help you determine whether your insurance policies are right for you and go over any available discounts.
- Accident forgiveness: This helps you avoid a rate increase after you or someone on your policy causes a crash. It’s not available in every state, and Nationwide will forgive one accident per policy only.
- Total loss deductible waiver: If your car is totaled, this coverage lets you waive your comprehensive or collision deductible.
» MORE: Car insurance comparison tool
Nationwide’s auto insurance discounts include:
- Multipolicy discount.
- Anti-theft discount.
- Accident-free discount.
- Good student discount.
- Safe driver discount.
- Paperless discount.
- Discount if you sign up for automatic payments.
- Affinity member discount for being part of groups like alumni associations or professional organizations.
- Defensive driving discount for those age 55 and older who complete an approved safety course.
SmartRide uses an app or device that plugs into your car’s diagnostic port to monitor your driving behavior. It can track mileage, fast acceleration, hard braking and the time of day you drive. Nationwide uses the data to determine your discount, up to 40%, for safe driving. Drivers can get an initial discount just for signing up.
SmartMiles could save you money if you don’t drive often. This pay-per-mile program charges a base rate, plus a variable premium based on how many miles you drove in the previous month. In addition to savings based on low mileage, you could also get a 10% discount for safe driving.
Nationwide homeowners insurance
Nationwide offers homeowners insurance with typical coverage options, plus perks like ordinance or law insurance, which covers the cost of rebuilding your house to current building codes during a claim. The company also offers a few extras you can opt into, including:
- Brand New Belongings: If your belongings are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Nationwide will reimburse you for brand-new items rather than for the value of your old things.
- Better Roof Replacement: If you need to replace your roof and the damage is covered by your policy, Nationwide will reimburse you to have it rebuilt with stronger and safer materials than your old roof.
- Water backup coverage pays if your house is damaged by water backup through sewers or drains, or if your sump pump overflows.
- Valuables Plus offers additional coverage for valuables such as jewelry, antiques and art if they are stolen or damaged.
- Identity theft coverage includes credit monitoring and assistance with recovery if you’re a victim of identity fraud.
Nationwide’s home insurance discounts include:
- Multipolicy discount.
- A discount if you purchased a home within the past 12 months.
- Protective device discount for having burglar or smoke alarms.
- Claim-free discount.
- Discount for home renovations, including electrical or plumbing upgrades.
- Prior insurance discount.
- Gated community discount.
- Discount based on your roof’s age and surface type.
Nationwide complaints and customer satisfaction
Nationwide had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for home and auto insurance relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Nationwide ranks better than average for auto insurance customer satisfaction but gets mixed reviews for home insurance, according to J.D. Power studies.
|2020 J.D. Power study||Nationwide ranks...|
|Auto insurance shopping||Better than average|
|Auto insurance claims satisfaction||Better than average|
|Home insurance||Below average|
|Property insurance claims||Better than average|
More about Nationwide
Website: Nationwide’s website has a portal where you can pay bills, file and track claims, manage policies and view documents. The site also has tools for planning your retirement.
Mobile apps: You can manage your policy, start a claim, call for roadside assistance and get auto insurance ID cards on the Nationwide mobile app, available for iOS and Android. The company has a separate app for its SmartRide program, which tracks your driving behavior and offers discounts for safe habits.
Nationwide life insurance
Nationwide offers term, whole, universal and variable life insurance policies. To learn more, see our Nationwide life insurance review.
|Other types of insurance from Nationwide include:|
|Condo insurance||Identity theft insurance|
|Renters insurance||Boat and personal watercraft insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||RV insurance|
|Dental insurance||Business insurance|
|ATV insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Travel insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
|Scooter and moped insurance||Pet insurance|
Nationwide also partners with third parties to sell classic car insurance, wedding insurance and special liability insurance.
Recap: Nationwide pros and cons
|Fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for home and auto insurance||Lower than average customer satisfaction for home insurance|
|Customer satisfaction for auto insurance is better than most other comparable companies|
|Wide variety of options for customers who want to buy multiple products from one company|