Nationwide reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or better
- Fewer customer complaints than the median for auto, home and life insurance products
- Ranks 5th in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies
Although it’s probably best known for car insurance, Nationwide offers many types of insurance and financial products. If you prefer to bundle insurance products with a financially strong company, Nationwide might be a good fit.
Auto insurance rating
Nationwide ranked 5th out of 21 insurers in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4 stars out of 5. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
Nationwide had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2016 for a company of its size, according to the the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Nationwide ranked “about average” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study
- It ranked “better than most” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
- Nationwide ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Homeowners Insurance Study
- It ranked “better than most” for overall customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Property Insurance Claims Study
- Nationwide ranked “better than most“ for overall customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Life Insurance Study
Financial strength: A+ (superior)
Nationwide’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Nationwide auto insurance
Nationwide offers all that you’d expect from an auto insurer, plus a few additional options and perks.
SmartRide uses a device that plugs into your car’s diagnostic port to track your driving behavior. It can track mileage, fast acceleration, hard braking and time of day you drive to determine if you drive safely enough to earn a discount of up to 40%.
Vanishing deductible: This optional program allows you to chip away at your deductible by driving safely. For every year you don’t have an accident, your deductible goes down by $100, up to a $500 reduction in your deductible.
On Your Side Review: Once per year and after a major life event, you can take advantage of a free assessment by one of Nationwide’s agents to help you determine whether your insurance policies are right for you and go over any available discounts.
Nationwide home insurance
Nationwide offers home insurance with typical coverage options, plus a few extras you can opt into, including:
- Brand New Belongings: If your belongings are damaged, Nationwide will replace them with brand new items rather than reimbursing you for the value of your old things
- Better Roof Replacement: If you need to replace your roof and the damage is covered by your policy, Nationwide will reimburse your for stronger and safer materials than your old roof was made from
- Water backup of sewer coverage pays if your house is damaged by water backup through sewers or drains
- Valuables Plus offers additional coverage for valuables such as jewelry, antiques and art if they are stolen or damaged
Nationwide life insurance
Nationwide offers a full roster of life insurance products, including term life, whole life, universal life and variable life insurance.
Nationwide term life insurance comes in 10-, 15-, 20- or 30-year policies that can be converted to permanent life insurance at the end of the term.
More about Nationwide
Website: Nationwide’s website has a portal where you can pay bills, manage policies and view documents. The site also has tools for planning your retirement. You can even download the “On Your Side” jingle to use as a ringtone for your phone.
Mobile app: You can manage your policy, start a claim, call for roadside assistance and get auto insurance ID cards on the Nationwide mobile app, available for iOS and Android.
Plenti is a discount program that works with many retailers, but just one insurer: Nationwide. You can earn points for paying your home or auto premiums, then use those points for discounts at Macy’s, Rite Aid, Chili’s and more.
|Other types of insurance from Nationwide include:|
|Condo insurance||Identity theft insurance|
|Renters insurance||Boat insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||RV insurance|
|Dental insurance||Small-business insurance|
|ATV insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Travel insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
- 2015 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2015 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2015 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.