Nationwide reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or better.
- Fewer customer complaints than the median for auto, home and life insurance products.
- One-stop insurer offers most types of personal insurance policies.
Although it’s probably best known for car insurance, Nationwide offers many types of insurance and financial products. If you prefer to bundle insurance products with a financially strong company, Nationwide might be a good fit.
Nationwide insurance review details
Auto insurance rating
Nationwide ranked 8th out of 24 insurers in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for customer service, claims satisfaction and shopping satisfaction.
- Consumer Reports customer satisfaction ratings.
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Nationwide auto insurance coverage options
Nationwide offers all that you’d expect from an auto insurer, plus a few additional options and perks.
- SmartRide uses a device that plugs into your car’s diagnostic port to track your driving behavior. It can track mileage, fast acceleration, hard braking and time of day you drive. Nationwide uses the data to determine your discount, up to 40%, for safe driving. Drivers can get an initial discount just for signing up.
- Vanishing deductible: This optional program allows you to chip away at your deductible by driving safely. For every year you don’t have an accident, your deductible goes down by $100, up to a $500 reduction.
- On Your Side Review: Every year and after a major life event, you can take advantage of a free assessment by one of Nationwide’s agents to help you determine whether your insurance policies are right for you and go over any available discounts.
- Accident forgiveness helps you avoid a rate increase after you or someone on your policy causes a crash. It’s not available in every state, and Nationwide will only forgive one accident per policy.
» MORE: Compare car insurance
Nationwide home insurance coverage options
Nationwide offers home insurance with typical coverage options, plus perks like ordinance or law insurance, which covers the cost of rebuilding your house to current building codes during a claim. The company also offers a few extras you can opt into, including:
- Brand New Belongings: If your belongings are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Nationwide will reimburse you for brand-new items rather than for the value of your old things.
- Better Roof Replacement: If you need to replace your roof and the damage is covered by your policy, Nationwide will reimburse you to have it rebuilt with stronger and safer materials than your old roof.
- Water backup of sewer coverage pays if your house is damaged by water backup through sewers or drains.
- Valuables Plus offers additional coverage for valuables such as jewelry, antiques and art if they are stolen or damaged.
Nationwide life insurance coverage options
Nationwide offers a full roster of life insurance products, including term life, whole life, universal life and variable life insurance.
Nationwide term life insurance comes in 10-, 15-, 20- or 30-year policies, many of which can be converted to permanent life insurance at the end of the term.
Nationwide at a glance
Financial strength: A+ (“Superior”)
Nationwide’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Nationwide had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators for auto, home and life insurance in 2018 relative to its size, according to the the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
|2018 J.D. Power Study||Nationwide ranks...|
|Insurance Shopping (Auto)||About average|
|Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction||About average|
|Home Insurance||About average|
|Property Insurance Claims||About average|
|Life Insurance||Among the best|
More about Nationwide
Website: Nationwide’s website has a portal where you can pay bills, manage policies and view documents. The site also has tools for planning your retirement.
Mobile app: You can manage your policy, start a claim, call for roadside assistance and get auto insurance ID cards on the Nationwide mobile app, available for iOS and Android.
|Other types of insurance from Nationwide include:|
|Condo insurance||Identity theft insurance|
|Renters insurance||Boat insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||RV insurance|
|Dental insurance||Small-business insurance|
|ATV insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Travel insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
NerdWallet’s star ratings are based on the following three factors, each weighted equally to produce a 300-point maximum total score:
- 2018 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for private passenger auto insurance. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2017 company satisfaction data from Consumer Reports’ most recent car insurance survey. Higher satisfactions ratings from Consumer Reports were given higher scores in our calculation.
- 2018 J.D. Power ratings from three studies encompassing regional customer service satisfaction, auto claims satisfaction and shopping satisfaction. Ratings from each of the separate 2018 studies were averaged to form one overall score from J.D. Power. The higher the average, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.