If you’re a frequent PayPal user, you might be considering the PayPal Extras Mastercard®. Issued by Synchrony, it earns bonus points on everyday spending categories such as gas stations and restaurants, as well as on PayPal and eBay purchases.rewards credit cards — including a different option offered by PayPal, detailed below.
Here are five things to know about the PayPal Extras Mastercard®:
1. Dining and gas expenses earn the most points back …
The $0-annual-fee PayPal Extras Mastercard® earns:
- 3 points per dollar spent on gas and restaurant purchases.
- 2 points per dollar spent on PayPal and eBay purchases.
- 1 point per dollar spent on other purchases.
That’s a decent return in terms of point rates.
2. … But points are capped, their value is low and you need a minimum amount to redeem
While many rewards cards institute caps on specific bonus categories, most don’t impose a limit on the total rewards you can earn. However, with the PayPal Extras Mastercard®, earnings max out at 50,000 points per year.
You also don’t get the industry-standard point value for cash back with this card. You have to amass 6,000 points first, which you can then redeem for a $50 PayPal credit. That works out to a value of only 0.83 cents per point.
Non-cash-back redemption options also require minimum point thresholds:
- You need at least 800 points to start redeeming for gift cards for restaurants, gas, retail and more.
- Collect 3,000 points and you can use them toward merchandise such as household items, electronics and sports equipment.
- At 15,000 points, you can get a travel voucher for plane tickets, hotel stays or car rentals.
Points expire 24 months after they were initially accrued.
3. Travel redemptions pose particular hurdles
Beyond the required 15,000-point minimum, know that you’ll have to plan far ahead to use points for travel. Flights must be booked at least 21 days in advance, can be redeemed only for coach seats and sometimes require a Saturday night stay.
Stopovers can’t exceed four hours, and you must complete travel within 30 days of the original departure date.
Hotel stays and car rentals also require booking 21 days in advance, and they come with blackout dates.
4. You need a PayPal account first
Setting one up is free and relatively easy to do. But if you don’t already have a PayPal account before applying for the PayPal Extras Mastercard®, you’ll be asked to create one first.
5. It’s not the only choice for PayPal loyalists
The PayPal Extras Mastercard® is one of two co-branded credit cards from PayPal and Synchrony. The other is the PayPal Cashback Mastercard®, which has a different rewards structure. It earns a flat 2% cash back on everything — no categories to keep track of, no caps on your earnings, and no minimum redemptions to worry about.
If you have one of these cards already, you cannot get the other.