Liberty Mutual reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or better for home and auto insurance.
- Received slightly more customer complaints than the industry median for auto insurance, which mainly involved claim delays, unsatisfactory settlements and claim denials. Complaints about home and life insurance were less than the industry median.
- Placed 10th out of 21 insurers in NerdWallet’s rankings of the best car insurance companies.
Liberty Mutual is the nation’s third largest home insurer and seventh largest auto insurer based on direct premiums. In addition to home and auto insurance, Liberty Mutual offers a vast array of personal and commercial insurance policies.
NerdWallet rank: 10th
Liberty Mutual ranked 10th out of 21 insurers in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4 stars out of 5. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service.
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Liberty Mutual had slightly more than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2016 about auto insurance for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. But it had fewer than the median for home and life insurance.
The top three types of complaints against Liberty Mutual for auto and home insurance involved claims:
- Claims delays: Complaints alleging that the insurer has unreasonably delayed the investigation and/or processing of claims.
- Unsatisfactory settlements or offers: Complaints that insurer’s payment or settlement offer is less than or below the amount expected by the insured or claimant.
- Claim denials: Complaints alleging improper claim denial by insurer.
- Liberty Mutual ranked “among the best” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study.
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Liberty Mutual ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Homeowners Insurance Study.
- It ranked “better than most” for overall customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Property Insurance Claims Study.
Financial strength: A (excellent)
Liberty Mutual’s financial strength is “excellent,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance
Liberty Mutual offers standard auto policies to which you can add several types of optional coverage, including:
- Accident forgiveness: Your premium won’t increase as a result of your first accident. Note that this coverage is not available in California and may vary by state.
- New car replacement: If your car is totaled in the first year and first 15,000 miles, you’ll be reimbursed the cost of a new car, not just the depreciated value.
- Better car replacement takes new car replacement a step further: If your car is totaled at any age or mileage, you’ll be reimbursed for a car one year newer and with 15,000 fewer miles on it than your totaled car.
- Deductible fund: Liberty Mutual reduces your collision deductible by $100 when you add this feature to your policy, and another $100 every year after that. Even if you’re in an accident, the deductible doesn’t go up.
Teachers’ Auto Insurance is a unique offering from Liberty Mutual. It comes at no extra cost to teachers and includes:
- Vandalism loss protection: No deductible if your vehicle is vandalized during school-related events or on school property.
- Personal property coverage: Liberty Mutual will reimburse you up to $2,500 per occurrence if your teaching materials or school-owned property is stolen or damaged while in your vehicle.
- Collision coverage: There’s no deductible if your car is damaged in an accident while you’re driving it on school business. The exception is Pennsylvania, where a $100 deductible applies.
Liberty Mutual home insurance
Liberty Mutual offers homeowners insurance policies with standard features, plus the following additional coverage options:
Identity theft coverage will pay up to $15,000 per occurrence and $30,000 per policy period for costs and expenses related to identity theft, including reasonable attorney fees, lost work wages and notary fees.
Coverage for valuables pays for valuable items such as jewelry, art or camera equipment after a loss.
Inflation protection: Liberty Mutual will automatically adjust your coverage limits at renewal time to account for inflation and also apply a discount to your premium, but some limitations apply.
Home Protector Plus is an upgrade package you can add to your base homeowners insurance policy with Liberty Mutual. It includes:
- Expanded coverage: Pays unforeseen costs when you’re rebuilding your home.
- Personal property replacement: Liberty Mutual will pay to replace your damaged or destroyed items with new ones after a claim, not just give you a check for the depreciated value. The company will also help you locate the exact replacement items, or find the closest match.
Liberty Mutual life insurance
Life insurance and annuities are issued by Liberty Life Assurance Co. of Boston, a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual. It also offers term, whole and universal life insurance.
Other insurance available from Liberty Mutual
|Liberty Mutual policies that do not require an auto or home policy||
|Liberty Mutual policies requiring an existing auto insurance policy||
|Liberty Mutual policies requiring an existing home insurance policy||
|Policies available through Liberty Mutual partner insurance companies||
More about Liberty Mutual
Website: The Liberty Mutual website is robust and useful, allowing you to manage your policies, pay your bill, access ID cards and report or track a claim.
Mobile app: You can do a lot with the Liberty Mutual mobile app, including track claims, pay bills, and view policy documents. The accident and roadside support feature lets you capture information and photos at the scene of an accident or call for emergency roadside services.
Updated March 17, 2017.