Progressive insurance reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or lower for auto insurance and average for home insurance.
- There are more auto insurance customer complaints about Progressive compared to other insurers.
- The financial strength of Progressive is solid.
Progressive is probably best known for its car insurance, although it also offers insurance for just about anything with a motor. The country’s fourth-largest auto insurance provider also offers home, renters and life insurance through third parties.
Auto insurance rating
Progressive ranked 18th out of 21 insurers in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, with a rating of 4 stars out of 5. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for auto insurance claims satisfaction and customer service.
- Consumer complaints against the insurer about auto insurance, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Progressive had more than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2015 concerning auto insurance (the latest data available) for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The median complaint ratio is 1, and numbers lower than 1 are better.
- Progressive ranked among “the rest” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study, the lowest possible rating.
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
Financial strength: A+ (“superior”)
Progressive’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Progressive auto insurance
Progressive offers the usual auto insurance choices, as well as many add-on options. Depending on your state, you can choose from:
- Roadside assistance, which pays for help if you run out of gas or in case of a breakdown, flat tire, dead battery or keys locked in your car.
- Gap insurance, under which Progressive pays up to 25% above the value of your car if it’s totaled, to cover a loan or lease balance.
- Custom parts and equipment value, which pays to fix or replace custom accessories you add to your car.
- Pet injury protection, included in collision coverage. It pays veterinarian bills if your pet is injured in a car accident.
Snapshot is a free opt-in program that collects information on your driving habits, including speed, how much you drive, and when you drive. Progressive uses the data to adjust your insurance rates next time you renew. Data is collected from a device you plug in to your vehicle.
Ridesharing insurance is available from Progressive for residents of Texas and Pennsylvania who drive for companies such as Uber and Lyft. Typical insurance from ridesharing companies only covers the period between accepting a ride and dropping off a customer. This add-on insurance expands your personal auto policy anytime you have the app on, so you’re covered even between rides.
» MORE: Rideshare insurance for drivers
Other types of insurance from Progressive
In addition to auto insurance, you can get the following types of policies directly from Progressive:
|Progressive Insurance policy options|
|Commercial auto insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
|Boat insurance||Travel trailer insurance|
|All-terrain vehicle insurance||Segway insurance|
|Recreational vehicle insurance||Business insurance|
|Personal watercraft insurance||Umbrella insurance|
Progressive offers other policies through third parties. You can get a quote and sign up for these policies through Progressive, and even receive a discount on your existing Progressive policy if you combine the policies. Here are other types of insurance you can get from Progressive’s partners:
|Third-party insurance through Progressive|
|Homeowners insurance||Classic car insurance|
|Renters insurance||Mechanical repair insurance|
|Mobile home insurance (in most states)||Travel insurance|
|Condo insurance||Wedding and event insurance|
|Flood insurance||Pet insurance|
|Health insurance||ID theft insurance|
|Life insurance||Insurance for driving in Mexico|
» COMPARE: Home insurance quotes from Progressive
More about Progressive Insurance
Website: Progressive’s website includes a quote tool and a portal where customers can log on, pay bills, and see claim statuses. Additional helpful features include:
- The Name Your Price tool, which helps you find a policy to fit your budget. Keep in mind that a lower price will come with a trade-off in coverage.
- A comparison feature that shows competitor rates alongside Progressive’s quote for the same policy options.
- Auto financing tools that allow you to get an auto loan quote or refinancing quote from Capital One, a Progressive partner.
Mobile app: Progressive’s smartphone app allows you to report a claim and helps you find a repair service center.
Updated Feb. 3, 2017.
- 2015 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2015 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2015 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.