NerdWallet rating: 3.5 / 5.0
Good for: Good credit
LoanDepot, best known for its mortgages, also makes unsecured personal loans to good-credit borrowers that can be used for anything, such as consolidating debt or home improvements.
LoanDepot is a good fit for people who:
- Have good credit scores. The minimum requirement is 660, but its borrowers’ average score is between 705 and 715, the company says. If you don’t have good credit, you might be better off considering these bad-credit loan options.
- Have a debt-to-income ratio of 40% or below, excluding a mortgage. The lender says it has no minimum income requirement, and it didn’t provide information about the average income of its borrowers.
- Are homeowners. More than 80% of its personal loan borrowers own a home, according to the company.
LoanDepot at a glance
|Typical APR||6.67% – 29.98%|
|Loan amounts||$5,000 - $35,000|
|Time to funding||Three business days|
|Origination fee||1% - 5%|
|Soft credit check with application?||Yes|
Clicking “Check rates” will take you to the loanDepot site for an online application.
» MORE: Best loans for good credit
LoanDepot personal loan review
To review loanDepot, NerdWallet collected more than 30 data points from the lender, interviewed company executives, viewed the online loan application process with sample data, and compared the lender with others that seek the same customer or offer a similar personal loan product. Loan terms and fees may vary by state.
California-based loanDepot is one of the largest online lenders in the country. It was founded in 2010, and offers mortgages as well as personal loans.
Most borrowers use the loans to consolidate debt or pay for home improvement projects, the company says. The most common loan amounts range from $12,000 to $15,630. The typical borrower is a homeowner between 35 and 50.
How loanDepot compares
LoanDepot has rates, fees and loan terms comparable with those at most other online lenders. The lender assigns borrowers an internal grade to determine an origination fee. All personal loan borrowers, regardless of your credit score, should shop around to get the lowest rate. This is especially true if you have good credit — you’ll have more options.
Lenders with comparable offerings include Discover, FreedomPlus and Wells Fargo. Unlike loanDepot, however, all three give debt consolidation borrowers the option to pay off their creditors directly. Discover and Wells Fargo don’t charge origination fees and give borrowers free access to their FICO credit scores.
How to apply for a loanDepot loan
You can fill out an application on loanDepot’s website. The lender conducts a soft credit check with credit bureau Equifax to see if you qualify for a loan, and reports payments only to Equifax.
If you want to compare an offer from loanDepot with those from other lenders, click the button below to fill out a pre-qualification form. NerdWallet will check its lender marketplace and display the loans and rates for which you qualify. Pre-qualifying won’t affect your credit score.
Details about loanDepot personal loans
LoanDepot loan requirements
- Credit score: 660, but borrowers’ average is between 705 and 715
- Gross income: No minimum
- Credit history: None
- Debt-to-income ratio: No higher than 40%, excluding mortgage
LoanDepot lending terms
- Annual percentage rate range: 6.67% to 29.98%
- Minimum loan amount: $5,000
- Maximum loan amount: $35,000
- Loan duration: Three or five years
- Time to receive funds: Three days
LoanDepot fees and penalties
- Origination fee: 1% to 5% of loan amount, depending on borrower’s loan grade
- Prepayment fee: None
- Late fee: $15 after 15-day grace period
- Personal-check processing fee: None
- Other fees: $15 returned payment fee
- Learn how personal loans work
- 4 ways to consolidate credit card debt
- Read more personal loan reviews
Updated Nov. 8, 2017.
Personal Loans Ratings Methodology
NerdWallet’s ratings for personal loans awards points to lenders that offer consumer-friendly features, including: soft credit checks, no origination fees, payment options, short time to funding, interest rate caps of 36%, and absence of prepayment penalties. Features are considered for their positive impact on consumers’ credit history and financial health. To ensure accuracy and consistency, our ratings are reviewed by multiple people on the NerdWallet Personal Loans team.
— Among the very best for consumer-friendly features
— Excellent; offers most consumer-friendly features
— Very good; offers many consumer-friendly features
— Good; may not offer something important to you
— Fair; missing important consumer-friendly features
— Poor; proceed with great caution