NerdWallet is here to help you win Black Friday while leaving your budget intact. We spend the time, you save the money. Visit regularly for holiday tips and announcements about your favorite products. Black Friday is Nov. 29.
Glance at any major retailer’s Black Friday ad and you’ll almost certainly see TV deals displayed front and center. While these big-ticket bargains are plentiful, they’re not always easy to score. The most highly coveted TVs can sell out quickly or may be up for grabs only during a certain window of time. We’ll break down the deals to help you decide if Black Friday is the right time to buy a TV.
Best Black Friday TV deals, 2019
Smart TVs are all the rage this Black Friday, and several retailers are serving up deals on brands like LG, Samsung and Vizio. One of the best deals to emerge this year is a 50-inch Westinghouse Roku 4K HDR UHD smart TV for $149.99 at Target ($160 off, in-store only). Here are a few other noteworthy deals:
- Target: Element 65-inch Roku Smart 4K UHD HDR TV for $279.99 (in-store only). Sale starts Nov. 28.
- Costco: LG 65-inch class 7-series 4K UHD LED LCD TV for $499.99. Available now, limit three.
- Best Buy: Insignia 58-inch 4K UHD HDR LED smart TV with Fire TV and Amazon Echo Dot for $199.99 ($280 off). Sale starts Nov. 28.
- Dell: Vizio 65-inch 4K UHD HDR smart TV for $639.99 ($360 off), plus $50 Dell eGift card. Doorbuster deal starts Nov. 28 at 11:00 p.m. ET.
How to decide if it’s worth it
Black Friday is one of the best times of the year to buy a TV. That means now is a good time to shop. If you don’t see something you like right now, big sales will come around again in January and February.
How to budget for a TV
As with any bigger ticket purchase, you’ll need to earmark that specific expense as part of the “wants” category within your monthly budget. If you’re following the 50/30/20 budgeting system, no more than 30% of your income should be spent on wants. So, if you plan on dropping $499.99 on a TV in November, make sure that extra expense doesn’t put you over the edge.
We have a handy calculator to help you keep your budget on track.
Best Black Friday TV deals, 2018
Big-box retailers and wholesale clubs cut prices on a range of TV brands and sizes. Among the best deals was a 40-inch Hisense 1080p TV for $99 at Walmart. Check out a few more standouts below:
- Target sold a 50-inch Philips 4K HDR UHD smart TV for $249.99 ($180 off).
- Best Buy discounted the 55-inch Sharp class LED 2160p smart 4K UHD TV to $249.99 ($200 off, in-store only).
- Costco offered a 65-inch LG class 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV for $599.99, which included Costco Concierge Services technical support and second-year warranty.
Many doorbuster deals were exclusively available in stores, while supplies lasted. Still, shoppers could find abundant savings online.