6 Home Insurance Terms You Need to Know

Words like “endorsements” and “exclusions” don’t need to be confusing.
Profile photo of Sarah Schlichter
Written by Sarah Schlichter
Lead Writer
Profile photo of Caitlin Constantine
Assigning Editor
Fact Checked

Many, or all, of the products featured on this page are from our advertising partners who compensate us when you take certain actions on our website or click to take an action on their website. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.

Stuffed with industry jargon and legalese, your home insurance policy isn’t exactly light reading — but that doesn’t mean you should toss it in a drawer without a glance. After all, the words in that policy could make the difference between being completely covered for a disaster or having to pay thousands of dollars yourself to repair your home.

Below are a few key homeowners insurance terms to look for when skimming your policy, plus tips on where to find the most essential information.

Hosue and clouds
Get home insurance quotes in minutes
Answer a few questions to see custom quotes and find the right policy for you.


The best place to start is with the homeowners insurance declarations page, a summary page that’s customized for your home. You’ll usually find it right at the beginning of your policy documents.

The declarations page spells out details such as the property address, coverage amounts, premium and discounts that have been applied. It also lists the dates your policy starts and ends.

Check the declarations carefully to make sure everything looks correct, advises Steve Wilson, director of technical underwriting at Hippo Insurance. If not, contact your agent or carrier.


Another key detail to look out for on the declarations page: your home insurance deductible. This is the amount you’re responsible for in the event of a claim. 

Say a thunderstorm blows a tree onto your house, causing $10,000 worth of damage. If your deductible is $1,000, the insurance company will pay $9,000 toward the cost of repairs.

Your declarations page may list more than one deductible, depending on the type of claim, says Angi Orbann, vice president of property and personal insurance at Travelers. If you live along a coast, for instance, you might have a hurricane deductible that’s higher than the one that applies to other claims.

Hurricane or windstorm deductibles often represent a percentage of your dwelling coverage rather than a flat amount, Joseph Sanzo, a senior insurance professional at Barnum Benefit Advisors, wrote in an email. For example, if your home is insured for $250,000 and you have a hurricane deductible of 3%, you’d be responsible for the first $7,500 of damage after a hurricane.

Did you know...

Dwelling coverage is the part of your homeowners policy that covers the structure of your house.


Your declarations page will spell out how much coverage you have, but it typically won’t explain what isn’t covered. For that information, look for sections of your policy with headings like “exclusions” or “losses not insured.”

You’ll likely find lengthy lists of scenarios your insurance company won’t cover, including major disasters such as floods and earthquakes. If your home is at risk from these disasters, Orbann says, you can often buy additional coverage.

“Be proactive and talk to your insurance carrier,” Wilson says. “Is this a flood-prone area? Are there other coverages that I may need?”

An agent can identify potential coverage gaps and help you fill them.


One common way to address such gaps is through an endorsement, which changes or adds coverage to your policy. 

For example, most standard homeowners insurance provides little to no coverage for damage from backed-up drains or sump pumps, but you can probably add this coverage through an endorsement, Wilson says.

Insurers typically list endorsements separately from the main text of your policy, often at the end.

Special limits

If you own valuable personal belongings — like a pricey engagement ring or an extensive gun collection — a standard homeowners insurance policy may not fully cover them. Insurance companies often have “special limits,” or sublimits, for certain types of personal property, Orbann says.

For instance, jewelry theft might be covered only up to $1,000. Special limits often also apply to cash, silverware, furs, guns and items used for business purposes.

If you have belongings worth more than the sublimits in your policy, contact your agent or carrier to discuss adding extra coverage. 

Did you know...

Your insurer may require an appraisal — a professional evaluation of what your valuable items are worth. This can help determine how much coverage you need.


The “conditions” sections of your policy are worth a look because they spell out how to get the coverage you’re entitled to. Wilson recommends reading these parts of your policy so you understand what you need to do when filing a claim. If you don’t meet the conditions, your insurer could deny your claim.

For example, your policy might specify that you must:

  • Protect your property from further damage after a disaster.

  • Notify the police if someone steals your belongings.

  • Provide an inventory of damaged or stolen items.

The conditions sections often have other essential information, such as reasons the company may cancel your policy.

Still confused about your homeowners insurance? Reach out to an agent to ask questions and talk through your options.

Get more smart money moves – straight to your inbox
Sign up and we’ll send you Nerdy articles about the money topics that matter most to you along with other ways to help you get more from your money.