21st Century Insurance reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or worse
- Has more customer complaints than other auto insurance companies of similar size
- Sells bare-bones auto insurance policies in California and Hawaii
21st Century Insurance is a small operation, currently offering new policies only in California and Hawaii. It does most of its business online and over the phone, so 21st Century is best for people who are fine with not having a personal agent.
auto insurance rating
21st Century ranked 17th out of 25 insurers in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
21st Century had more than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2016 for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- 21st Century ranked among “the rest” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2017 U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
Financial strength: A (excellent)
21st Century’s financial strength is “excellent,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
21st Century auto insurance
21st Century offers few bells and whistles with its auto policies, something that may help keep rates down. Customers can buy the typical types of coverage, as well as custom equipment coverage, which pays if custom parts, such as a stereo or wheel rims, are damaged or stolen.
More about 21st Century
Other insurance products: The company offers other products through affiliated companies:
- Specialty home insurance
- Mobile or manufactured home insurance
- Flood insurance
- Mechanical breakdown insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- ATV insurance
- Antique auto insurance
- Boat insurance
- Personal watercraft insurance
- Life insurance
Website and mobile app: Though not containing some of the slick features you’ll find on some other insurers’ digital platforms, 21st Century’s app and website let you accomplish the basics. You can pay bills, look at policy documents, view insurance ID cards and file claims from either the website or the app. You can also call for roadside assistance from the mobile app, which is available for Android and iOS.
- 2016 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2017 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2016 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.