Dairyland reviews and ratings
- Offers insurance for high-risk drivers.
- Provides only auto and motorcycle insurance.
- Can provide SR-22 forms.
Dairyland Insurance specializes in auto and motorcycle insurance for drivers who typically can’t get coverage anywhere else, such as those with serious or repeated traffic-related offenses or DUI convictions. If you’ve been pegged as a high-risk driver, Dairyland might be right for you.
Based in Wisconsin, Dairyland has specialized in high-risk drivers since it was founded in 1953. It’s a part of the “nonstandard” market of auto insurance companies, and it charges accordingly high prices.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Dairyland auto insurance
Dairyland auto insurance earned 3.0 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Dairyland offers the usual auto policy options, in addition to towing and labor coverage, which pays to get your vehicle to a service center if it’s immobilized.
Other additional coverage options include:
- Special equipment coverage pays for damage to custom parts that you’ve added to your car.
- A lienholder policy, which covers the cost of any custom touches that need to be fixed on a bank-owned car after an accident.
- Non-owner insurance, which offers coverage if you get in an accident where you’re at fault while driving another person’s car. This secondary insurance helps pay for damage that doesn’t fall under the car’s primary policy. You might need this coverage if you don’t own a car, need an SR-22 or drive sparingly. Dairyland does not sell this policy online.
SR 22 forms are typically available for free through Dairyland. Your state may require an SR-22 form to prove that you meet your state’s minimum car insurance requirements after a DUI or another serious violation.
Dairyland’s auto insurance discounts:
- Advanced quote, for getting a quote at least a week before your insurance policy starts.
- Anti-theft device discount.
- Transfer, if you have other auto insurance coverage in place for at least six months before becoming a Dairyland customer.
- Discount for being a homeowner.
- Discount for customers who pass a driver safety course.
Dairyland motorcycle insurance
Dairyland motorcycle coverage offerings include collision, comprehensive, bodily injury and property damage liability, personal injury protection, and uninsured motorist property damage and bodily injury. Underinsured motorist property damage coverage is also available. It protects you when the at-fault driver doesn’t carry enough insurance to pay for repairs of damage to your bike.
Dairyland also offers:
- Replacement cost coverage, which pays for a replacement bike if yours is destroyed in a covered claim. It’s available only for motorcycles that are less than 3 years old.
- Guest passenger coverage, which pays for treatment of injuries that passengers sustain on your bike.
- Physical damage-plus coverage, which pays to repair your damaged bike with original equipment manufacturer parts.
- Roadside assistance, which provides towing and emergency services that you may need due to battery failure, a flat, or a mechanical or electrical breakdown.
Dairyland’s motorcycle insurance discounts
- Rider course discount, if you’ve passed a safety course within the past five years.
- HOG discount for members of the Harley Owners Group.
- Rider group discount.
- Transfer discount for having coverage before becoming a Dairyland customer.
- Loyalty discount for customers with Dairyland for more than a year and who replace or add a bike.
- Multicycle discount.
Complaints about Dairyland
Dairyland had far more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for life, home and auto insurance, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about Dairyland
Dairyland doesn’t have the online tools and resources that some other insurance companies do, but its website is functional and easy to navigate. On its homepage, you’ll see links to find an agent, get a quote, retrieve a saved quote and make a payment. You can also settle claims and pay your bill online. Agents aren’t widely available, but if you prefer to work with an agent, enter your ZIP code and you’ll receive a list.
Mobile app: Available for Apple and Android devices, Dairyland’s mobile app allows customers to pay bills, receive bill alerts, access account information and view insurance cards.
Recap: Dairyland pros and cons
|Insures high-risk or “nonstandard” drivers.||Charges higher rates than companies that cater to lower-risk drivers.|
|Can offer a free SR-22 for most customers.||Not available in all states.|
|Has more complaints than other companies of similar size|
Auto insurance ratings methodologyNerdWallet’s auto insurance ratings reward companies for customer-first features and practices. Ratings are based on weighted averages of scores in several categories, including financial strength, consumer complaints, website transparency and affordability. Using our editorial discretion, we also consider customer satisfaction surveys. These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews. Read our editorial guidelines.
Methodology: Insurer complaintsNerdWallet examined complaints received by state insurance regulators and reported to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in 2016-2018. To assess how insurers compare to one another, the NAIC calculates a complaint index each year for each subsidiary, measuring its share of total complaints relative to its size, or share of total premiums in the industry. To evaluate a company’s complaint history, NerdWallet calculated a similar index for each insurer, weighted by market shares of each subsidiary, over the three-year period. Ratios are determined separately for auto, home (including renters and condo) and life insurance.