Erie reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are typically better than average
- Has fewer customer complaints than other companies of similar size
- Ranks third among NerdWallet’s best car insurance companies
Erie Insurance is a strong choice for auto insurance. The Erie, Pennsylvania, insurer operates in 12 states and Washington, D.C., and makes customers happy: Erie gets generally high marks for satisfaction in J.D. Power ratings and few complaints. Here’s where Erie is available:
Auto insurance rating
Erie was third in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4.5 stars out of 5. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
Erie had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2016 for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Erie ranked “among the best” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study
- It ranked “among the best” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
- Erie ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 Property Claims Satisfaction Study
- It ranked “better than most” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Home Insurance Study
Financial strength: A+ (Superior)
Erie’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Erie auto insurance
Auto insurance policies from Erie Insurance include extras such as:
- Rate lock, which lets you lock in your auto insurance rates until you add or remove drivers, add or remove vehicles, or move.
- Accident forgiveness, which prevents you from facing a surcharge after your first at-fault accident once you’ve been an Erie customer for three years.
- Diminishing deductible, which reduces your deductible by $100 for every year you don’t file a claim, up to $500.
- Pet injury coverage: Up to $500 each for veterinary care for pets injured in your vehicle in an accident, up to $1,000.
Erie offers additional auto insurance options like:
- New car protection: If you have a car less than 24 months old and it’s totaled, Erie will replace it with a new car of the current model year.
- Better car protection: If your car is 24 months or older and is totaled, this coverage will pay for a car of the same make and model two years newer, or it will pay off the auto loan if there is one.
Erie home insurance
Erie Insurance offers coverage for houses, condos and manufactured homes, plus coverage for renters and landlords. ErieSecure, the company’s base home policy, offers the usual features, plus some nice perks such as:
- Guaranteed replacement cost so your home will be covered in full if it’s destroyed or damaged, with no “wear and tear” taken into account
- Animals covered up to $500
You can also add customized options to your policy, including:
- Computer and electronic equipment coverage
- Jewelry, art and high-end valuables coverage
- Coverage for firearms
- Identity theft recovery
- Water backup and sump overflow coverage
Erie life insurance
Erie’s life insurance choices include term, whole and universal policies, though none is available in New York. Term life policies are available for terms of 10, 15, 20 and 30 years. Up to $90,000 of coverage is available without a medical exam, with an answer available within 15 minutes.
More about Erie
Website: Erie’s website is handy. You can get an auto quote, find an agent, pay your bill, access your account, file a claim and find a repair shop. Erie doesn’t have a smartphone app.
Retirement planning and other insurance: Erie’s retirement planning products include annuities and traditional and Roth individual retirement accounts. (Annuities from Erie aren’t available in New York.) Erie customers can also buy:
- Umbrella insurance
- Insurance for classic cars, all-terrain vehicles and recreational vehicles
- Flood insurance
- Boat insurance
- Identity theft recovery and fraud reimbursement
For business owners, Erie’s offerings include:
- Business liability
- Business auto
- Worker’s compensation
- Group life insurance
2015 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
2015 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
2015 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.