MetLife insurance ratings and reviews
- Overall customer satisfaction is about average for auto insurance and for home insurance
- Complaints involving auto and home insurance against MetLife are below the industry median
Global giant MetLife has a new look and a new U.S. business focus. Long associated with Snoopy and the Peanuts gang, the company dropped the comic-strip characters from its marketing in 2016. The new logo and tagline, “MetLife. Navigating life together,” represent the biggest change to the company brand in more than 30 years.
MetLife spun off most of its U.S. individual life insurance and annuity business in 2017 to a separate company, Brighthouse Financial. Brighthouse sells many of the same individual life insurance and annuity products that MetLife did.
MetLife now sells auto and home insurance, no-exam term life insurance and dental insurance to individuals. The company also sells other types of insurance through workplaces.
Compared to other companies of its size, MetLife had fewer than the median number of complaints about auto and home insurance to state regulators in 2016 (the latest data available), according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- “About average” for customer satisfaction with car insurance claims in the 2016 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction study
- “About average” for its auto insurance policy offerings and buying process and “above average” for price in the 2017 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study
- “About average” for home insurance customer satisfaction in the 2016 J.D. Power U.S. Home Insurance Study
Financial strength: A (excellent)
MetLife’s auto and home insurance business is rated A (excellent) for financial strength by ratings firm A.M. Best. Financial strength indicates an insurance company’s ability to pay claims.
MetLife auto insurance
In addition to the standard car insurance options, MetLife offers:
New car replacement: The option repairs or replaces your car with a brand-new one if you total your car within the first 15,000 miles or within one year of purchasing it.
Deductible savings benefit lets you earn $50 each year you don’t make a claim, up to $250, to use toward lowering the deductible if you do make a claim.
Good driving discounts: Discounts of up to 12% are available if all drivers in the household have outstanding driving records or up to 20% if you don’t make a claim or have a violation for five years. The discounts vary by state.
Rideshare insurance is available to Lyft drivers in California, Colorado, Illinois, Texas and Washington. The policy offers coverage while the Lyft driver is logged into the app waiting for passenger requests, on the way to pick up passengers and during the trip with passengers.
The My Journey program tracks and scores your driving. You get an initial discount of up to 10% for enrolling. At renewal time you can earn a discount of up to 30% for safe driving. Depending on the state, you install a device in the car or download an app for tracking.
MetLife home insurance
Online option: You can buy and manage home insurance entirely online, including filing claims, from the MetLife website in these states:
- New Mexico
MetLife says it will add the online self-service and purchasing capability in more states.
Home insurance discounts are available for:
- Membership in certain groups or employment with certain employers. Ask if your group or employer makes you eligible.
- Fire or theft prevention systems, such as smoke detectors and deadbolt locks. Discount varies by state.
- Buying both auto and home insurance from MetLife.
MetLife no-exam term life insurance
The company offers one life insurance product to individuals, MetLife Rapid Term. (Not available in all states.) With this term life policy you can:
- Buy up to $500,000 of coverage
- Avoid a medical exam. The application asks a few health questions and the company verifies health information through databases.
- Choose from terms of 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 years
- Buy online or by phone
- Find out quickly if you’re approved
Other types of life insurance from MetLife are available only through the workplace. MetLife’s spinoff, Brighthouse Financial, offers other types of policies.
» MORE: Brighthouse Financial Review
More about MetLife
MetLife’s website features question-and-answer sections about its insurance products and general how-to articles on insurance, wellness and money matters. You can get quotes and buy auto and no-exam term life insurance online. In some states you can get quotes and buy home insurance online.
The My Journey app tracks driving for MetLife’s usage-based car insurance program. The app provides a driving score of 1 to 100 for each trip, with 100 being the safest possible trip. The app detects:
- TIme of day
- Hard braking and harsh acceleration
- Distracted driving with a phone
- Road type and conditions
The MetLife Infinity app lets you upload photos, videos and documents to share with loved ones now or later.
The MetLife US App lets you submit car accident claims, view auto and home insurance policy summaries, pay auto and home insurance bills and more.
Other types of insurance from MetLife
- Dental insurance
- Boat insurance
- RV and motorcycle insurance
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Mobile home insurance
- Insurance available through the workplace: Life, dental, disability, vision, accident, legal and pet insurance