at a glance
- Sells most policies through workplaces.
- Offers term and whole life insurance directly to individuals.
- Also offers accident, cancer, critical illness and dental insurance.
You may hear a duck sound in your head when you think of Aflac, but the company’s position in the insurance industry is no quacking matter. Aflac is a top seller of insurance benefits at work, such as supplemental life insurance. The Fortune 500 company also sells some of its products, including term and whole life insurance, to individuals.
Aflac life insurance
Aflac earned 3.5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and financial strength ratings from A.M. Best.
Whether you buy Aflac life insurance privately or through the workplace, your options are generally similar, with the main difference being coverage limits.
Aflac life insurance for individuals
Aflac’s term life insurance offers coverage of up to $250,000. Until age 65, you may be able to convert the policy to permanent life insurance. Available term lengths are:
- 10-year term for applicants 18 to 70.
- 20-year term for applicants 18 to 60.
- 30-year term for applicants 18 to 50.
Aflac’s whole life insurance offers coverage of up to $250,000 for applicants between 18 and 70. Similar to other permanent life insurance policies, Aflac’s whole life product builds cash value, which you can borrow against to pay for medical costs or other expenses.
All of Aflac’s term and whole life insurance policies include:
- Quick payouts of the first $5,000 of a claim, to help cover immediate expenses when you die.
- Accelerated death benefits, which allow you to receive as much as half of the policy’s payout in advance if you become terminally ill.
Some Aflac policies also offer life insurance riders, which let you pay extra for certain features. Available riders include:
- Waiver of premium rider, which allows you to stop paying premiums if you become totally disabled.
- 10-year term insurance rider for whole life policies, giving you more coverage during a specific period of time.
- Child term life insurance riders that provide $15,000 in coverage for each insured child under 25.
» MORE: Compare life insurance quotes
Aflac life insurance through work
Aflac’s term and whole life insurance policies sold through work offer $500,000 of coverage to employees under 50 years old. Coverage of up to $250,000 is available to employees between the ages of 51 and 70.
Similar to individual policies, workplace policies include accelerated death benefits and quick payment of the first $5,000 of a claim.
In some cases Aflac offers the option of guaranteed issue life insurance through work. With this type of policy, you can qualify for coverage without answering questions about your health or taking a life insurance medical exam.
Aflac’s workplace policies are typically portable, so you can take coverage with you if you leave your job.
Aflac consumer complaints
Over three years, Aflac has drawn more complaints to state regulators than expected for a company of its size, according to a NerdWallet analysis of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about Aflac
Alongside term and whole life insurance, Aflac also offers a range of supplementary insurance products to both individuals and employees.
|Type of insurance||Available through work||Available directly from Aflac|
Methodology: Life insurance ratingsNerdWallet’s life insurance ratings are based on weighted averages of complaint index scores from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for individual life insurance, and financial strength ratings from A.M. Best, which indicate a company’s ability to pay future claims. To calculate each insurer’s rating, we adjusted the NAIC and A.M. Best scores to a curved 5-point scale.
These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews.