at a glance
- Some products, including life insurance for adults, are available only through work.
- Offers accident, cancer, critical illness and dental insurance to individuals.
You may hear a duck sound in your head when you think of Aflac, but the company’s position in the insurance industry is no quacking matter. Aflac is one of the largest providers of insurance to supplement benefits at work. The Fortune 500 company also sells supplementary health coverage to individuals.
NerdWallet doesn’t score Aflac for its life insurance company rankings because the company sells life insurance to adults only through employers, not to individuals. In addition, customer satisfaction ratings are not available. Aflac isn’t included in the annual J.D. Power U.S. Life Insurance Study, which measures customer satisfaction.
Consumer complaints: Better than the median
Aflac drew fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2017 for a company of its size, according to the latest data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The association assigns a complaint ratio score to insurance companies, based on the number of complaints to state insurance commissioners, adjusted for market share. The median score is 1. A score less than 1 means fewer complaints. Aflac’s score for individual life insurance in 2017 was 0.46.
Aflac life insurance
Aflac is a top seller of supplementary insurance at U.S. workplaces. Also called “voluntary benefits,” these are policies employees can buy through work to supplement traditional group health insurance.
The company also sells supplementary coverage to individuals. Highlights include:
- You can choose to receive cancer insurance payouts based on treatment over time or lump-sum benefits paid upon diagnosis.
- In some states, accident policies pay up to an additional 25% of the benefit if the injury occurred while participating in an organized sport.
- Dental insurance plans have no provider networks, so you can choose any dentist, and there are no deductibles.
More about Aflac
|Sold through workplaces only||Sold to individuals and through employers|