Travelers insurance reviews and ratings
- One of the largest auto and home insurance providers.
- Travelers’ customer satisfaction ratings are below average.
- Travelers has fewer customer complaints than the median relative to its size for auto and home insurance.
Travelers is one of the most enduring and well-known names in insurance. It’s among the nation’s largest providers of home and auto insurance policies. If you’re looking for an in-person experience with an agent and want to buy multiple products from one provider, Travelers might be a good fit.
Travelers auto insurance
Travelers auto insurance earned 4.5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula looks at factors such as account pricing and discounts, website transparency and financial strength. Other factors include ease of filing a claim and complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Based on these ratings, Travelers is among NerdWallet’s Best Car Insurance Companies for 2021.
Common types of car insurance coverage
When you’re shopping for car insurance, it’s important to understand what car insurance coverage you want and what you’re required to buy. Most states require car insurance to drive a vehicle, although minimum coverage requirements vary from state to state. This generally includes liability insurance and uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.
If you want extra protection, you may be interested in full coverage insurance. Full coverage isn’t a specific policy you can buy, but rather a combination of coverage types like liability, collision and comprehensive insurance.
Check out the most common types of car insurance coverage below to see how they work:
|Coverage type||What it pays for||Required?|
|Bodily injury and property damage liability||Costs for injuries, deaths or property damage from an accident you caused.||Typically required.|
|Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage||Medical and property damage costs after an accident with a driver who has insufficient insurance or none at all.||Often required.|
|Collision coverage||Repair expenses from traffic-related accidents, regardless of who's at fault.||A car loan or lease may require it.|
|Comprehensive coverage||Repair costs from events outside your control — including weather events, hitting an animal while driving, theft and vandalism.||A car loan or lease may require it.|
Beyond the standard coverage options, Travelers has additional auto insurance options available.
- Gap insurance protects your auto lease or loan. If your car is totaled before it’s paid off or the lease is up, Travelers pays the difference between your loan’s balance and the car’s value when it’s totaled.
- Rideshare insurance is available from Travelers in Illinois and Colorado only for people who drive for companies like Uber or Lyft. Ridesharing companies usually pay for some liability when drivers are en route to pick up a passenger and until drop-off, but not in between rides.
- IntelliDrive uses an app to track your driving speed, the time of day, and braking and acceleration habits for 90 days. It’s available in 38 states. At renewal, you can get a discount of up to 20% for good driving — or your rates could go up if you have risky driving habits (except in certain states).
- Premier New Car Replacement can benefit you if your car is totaled and is five years old or newer. This coverage pays to replace the car with a brand new one, plus includes gap insurance to pay off any loan or lease balance when the car is totaled. If your car’s glass needs to be repaired, enrolling in this program means you could have a lower deductible.
- Travelers’ Responsible Driver Program offers two types of forgiveness: One accident and one minor violation are forgiven every 36 months, so your rates won’t go up after a crash or ticket.
- The Premier Responsible Driver Program includes the above accident and violation forgiveness perks, as well as a decreasing deductible ($50 off for every six months accident-free, up to $500 off your deductible). If your car is totaled, your deductible is waived in this program.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Traveler’s auto insurance discounts:
- Multi-policy discount.
- Multi-car discount.
- Home ownership discount.
- Safe driver discount.
- Discount for having no gaps in coverage.
- Discount for owning or leasing a hybrid car.
- New car discount.
- Discounts for paying electronically, upfront or on time..
- Discount for getting a quote before your policy expires.
- Discount for drivers in high school or college who maintain a “B” average or better.
- Student away at school discount.
- Driver training discount.
- Affinity group discount for being a member of certain organizations.
Auto insurance buying guide
Before you compare car insurance companies, you’ll need to collect basic information, such as the driving history of everyone on the policy and facts about your car, including safety features and annual mileage driven. You’ll also want to understand which types of coverage you need. For example, do you want only the bare minimum insurance that your state requires, or do you need more extensive coverage, such as gap insurance or rideshare coverage? Check that each company you’re considering has the options you want.
When comparing rates among insurers, make sure each is offering the same coverage limits and deductibles. You may not want to decide based on price alone. Look at how many consumer complaints each company has, as high numbers can be a red flag about the quality of service you might receive.
Depending on which company you choose, you may be able to buy insurance online, over the phone or through an agent. For more guidance, see how to get car insurance.
Travelers homeowners insurance
Travelers offers homeowners insurance with all of the standard coverage options, plus additional features you can buy. To learn more, see NerdWallet’s Travelers home insurance review.
Travelers complaints and customer satisfaction
Travelers had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for auto and home insurance relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
According to J.D. Power Studies, Travelers ranks below average in customer satisfaction scores for auto and home insurance.
|2020 J.D. Power Study||Travelers ranks...|
|Insurance Shopping (Auto)||Below average|
|Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction||Below average|
|Home Insurance||Below average|
|Property Insurance Claims||Below average|
More about Travelers
Website: Travelers’ login portal lets you access all of your insurance information, pay bills, track claims and more. Elsewhere on the website, you can get advice on topics from driving in icy conditions to preventing flood damage.
Mobile app: You can pay bills, file a claim, call for roadside assistance and view policy documents with Travelers’ mobile app, available on iOS and Android.
Voice assistant: If you have a device that uses Amazon’s Alexa virtual assistant, you can manage your Travelers account with Alexa.
|Other types of insurance from Travelers|
|Condo insurance||Identity theft insurance|
|Renters insurance||Boat and yacht insurance|
|Farm and ranch insurance||Commercial auto insurance|
|Umbrella insurance||Business insurance|
|Travelers insurance||Landlord insurance|
Recap: Travelers pros and cons
|Received fewer customer complaints than the median||Customer satisfaction ratings are average or lower for auto and home|
|Lots of available coverage options for home and auto insurance||Rideshare insurance available only in Illinois and Colorado|
|One of the largest insurance providers in the nation|