Travelers insurance reviews and ratings
- Travelers’ customer satisfaction ratings are average or better
- Travelers has fewer customer complaints than other companies of similar size
- Places 10th out of 21 insurers in NerdWallet’s rankings of the best car insurance companies
Travelers is one of the most enduring and well-known names in insurance. It’s among the nation’s largest car insurance companies and is the sixth-largest homeowners insurance provider by market share. If you’re looking for an in-person experience with an agent and want to buy multiple products from one provider, Travelers might be a good fit.
Auto insurance rating
Travelers ranked 10th in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4.5 stars out of 5. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
Travelers had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2016 for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Travelers ranked “better than most” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
- Travelers ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Property Claims Satisfaction Study
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Home Insurance Study
Financial strength: A++ (superior)
Travelers’ financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Travelers auto insurance
In addition to standard coverage options, Travelers has additional auto insurance options available.
- Gap insurance protects your auto lease or loan. If your car is totaled before it’s paid off or the lease is up, Travelers pays the loan or lease off. Without this coverage, you could be stuck paying the difference between your loan’s balance and the car’s value when it’s totaled.
- Ridesharing insurance is available from Travelers in Illinois and Colorado for people who drive for companies like Uber or Lyft. Ridesharing companies usually pay for some liability when drivers are en route to pick up a passenger and until drop-off, but not in between rides.
- IntelliDrive: This program uses a device to track your mileage and is available in eight states. If you opt in and drive fewer than 13,000 miles per year, you can get a discount of up to 30% — in addition to up to 10% for signing up.
Travelers home insurance
Travelers offers homeowners insurance with all of the standard coverage options, plus additional features you can buy, including:
- Contents replacement cost: Pays to replace your items with new ones, rather than the depreciated value of your old items, if they are stolen or damaged by an event your policy covers
- Valuable Items Plus: If your extra-valuable belongings are stolen or damaged, this extra coverage guarantees you can replace them. It can cover items like jewelry, computers and musical instruments
- Coverage for water backup pays if your house is damaged when water backs up through your sewer or drain, or overflows from your sump pump
- Identity fraud coverage pays up to $25,000 for costs related to restoring your identity if you are the victim of identity theft, with no deductible
- Green home coverage will help repair, replace or rebuild with green materials after you file a claim
More about Travelers
Website: Travelers’ login portal allows you access to all of your insurance information, pay bills, track claims and more. Elsewhere on the website, you can get advice on topics from driving in icy conditions to preventing flood damage.
Mobile app: You can pay bills, file a claim, call for roadside assistance and view policy documents with Travelers’ mobile app, available on iOS and Android.
Other insurance available from Travelers includes:
- Condo insurance
- Boat and yacht insurance
- Business insurance
- Renters insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Wedding insurance
- 2015 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2015 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2015 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.