With a timely focus on college football, United Airlines is adding 204,000 seats to planes flying to college football destinations from September to November. The increase averages 2,200 more daily seats than they had for the same months last year.
Here’s what you need to know:
Which college towns will see an increase in flights: College Station, Texas; Columbia, South Carolina; Columbus, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Greenville, South Carolina; Knoxville, Tennessee; Madison, Wisconsin; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Omaha, Nebraska; South Bend, Indiana; and State College, Pennsylvania.
Which towns will see larger planes with more seats: Austin, Texas; Birmingham, Alabama; Boise, Idaho; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Lansing, Michigan; and Tucson, Arizona.
Where will flights originate: The flights are being added to United hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York / Newark and Washington, D.C.
Book fast if using frequent flyer miles. While it may seem like more flights equals more frequent flyer mileage space, these flights are being added because they are in high-demand markets. Book now to secure your seat, and get your football tickets before they sell out, too.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
United Airlines MileagePlus program: The complete guide
What the new United Explorer Card means for you
How to get started with frequent flyer programs