Starwood Points: Getting Your Money’s Worth
Many employees at American Express recommend Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express to their friends as the best rewards card out there. Why the fuss?
How much is a Starwood Point worth?
NerdWallet estimates 1.25 cents on the low end, but 2.30 cents when redeemed at hotels.
Redemption Options for StarPoints.
– you can trade 20,000 Starwood Points for 25,000 airline miles, which is why we think Starwood Points are worth at least 1.25 cents each. This holds true on American, Delta, US Airways, and Virgin Atlantic. However, for Continental and United airlines you can only get half as many miles per Starpoint transfer. A full list of conversion rates is listed here.
Nights & Flights
– a great deal. Trade 60,000 Starpoints for 50,000 airline miles and five free nights at a Category 3 resort (Westin, Four Points, Sheraton). Trade 70,000 Starpoints for 50,000 airline miles and five free nights at a Category 4 resort (W, Westin, Sheraton). Redeemed in this fashion, points are worth around 2.0-2.1 cents.
– Point values vary but range from 1 cent to over 5 cents. Over a sample of 57 hotel rooms all over the world in August 2010, points averaged 2.3 cents each. As a general rule of thumb, the Category 2 and 3 hotels tend to have the highest redemption values. But if you’re a high roller and Category 6 or 7 is more your style, go for the highest price rooms within any given category to earn the highest redemption rate since the number of points required is constant.
– $25 card = 2800 Starpoints. $50 card = 5000 Starpoints. $100 card = 9500 Starpoints. $150 card = 14,000 Starpoints.
- No expiration as long as you are an “active member”. Anyone who has earned or used Starpoints in the previous 12 months is considered active.
- Buy 500 Starpoints for $17.50, a cost of 3.5 cents each.
For more info, see the Starpoints redemption options homepage.
The Starwood Credit Card allows you to earn 1 Starpoint per $1 spent. Details:
|Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express|
on American Express's
|Annual Fee||Signup Bonus||APR , Variable*||APR Promotions|
|$0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $65.||Earn up to 25,000 bonus points: 10,000 after your first purchase and another 15,000 after you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months of Cardmembership.||15.24% - 19.24% variable||None|