USAA insurance reviews and ratings
- USAA’s customer satisfaction ratings are among the best in the industry.
- Received close to the expected number of consumer complaints to state regulators for auto insurance, based on the company’s size, with fewer than expected for home insurance.
- Earns 5 stars out of 5 for auto insurance in NerdWallet’s ratings.
USAA offers a wide variety of insurance products and gets high marks in customer satisfaction surveys. Customers can also invest and bank through USAA, which is the fifth-largest auto insurer, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
USAA is open only to active military members, veterans and their families.
USAA auto insurance
USAA auto insurance earned 5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Based on these ratings, USAA is among NerdWallet’s Best Car Insurance Companies for 2021.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
USAA offers the usual types of auto insurance coverage and discounts to its customers in addition to:
Accident forgiveness: With this add-on coverage, which is free in some states after five years accident-free with the company, USAA won’t increase your auto insurance premiums after one at-fault accident.
Rideshare insurance: This optional coverage is available for customers who drive for companies like Uber or Lyft. Ridesharing companies generally pay for some liability when drivers are on their way to pick up a passenger and until drop-off, but not in between rides; this coverage fills that gap.
USAA’s auto insurance discounts:
- Safe driver discount.
- Defensive driving discount.
- Discount for drivers younger than 21 who complete a basic driver training course.
- Good student discount.
- Discount if your car is 3 years old or less.
- Multi-vehicle discount.
- Discount if you drive relatively few miles in a year.
- Vehicle-in-storage discount.
- Family discount.
- Length of membership discount.
- Discount on comprehensive coverage when you garage your vehicle on a military base.
- Multiple policy (bundling) discount.
USAA homeowners insurance
USAA offers homeowners insurance with all the standard features, plus:
- Identity theft coverage with a limit of $5,000 to pay expenses to restore your good name if you’re a victim of identity theft. This coverage is not available in all states.
- Military uniform coverage: If your uniform is damaged or stolen in an event your policy covers, and you are on active duty or deployed, USAA will reimburse you without a deductible.
- Replacement cost coverage: If belongings in your home are damaged or stolen, USAA will reimburse the cost to replace them, rather than the depreciated value, like most home insurance policies.
- Homesharing coverage: Available in certain states, this provides coverage if you’re renting out a room or your entire home on sites such as Airbnb.
USAA’s home insurance discounts:
- Multi-policy (bundling) discount.
- Claims-free discount.
- Home security device discount if you use ADT security services.
USAA complaints and customer satisfaction
USAA had close to the expected number of complaints for auto insurance to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. It had fewer than the median number of complaints about home insurance.
|2020 J.D. Power Study||USAA ranks...|
|Auto insurance shopping||Among the best|
|Home insurance||Among the best|
|Property insurance claims||Among the best|
More about USAA
The USAA website is packed with information about coverage options and advice on topics such as how to live in retirement, plan your estate and buy or sell a home or car. Planners and calculators help you determine your insurance needs.
The USAA mobile app provides secure account access. You can pay bills, get ID cards or file a claim.
USAA life insurance
USAA offers permanent and term life insurance to its members. You can learn more in NerdWallet’s USAA life insurance review.
USAA also offers a wide range of other insurance policies, including some sold through third parties.
|Other types of insurance from USAA include:|
|Condo insurance||Mobile home insurance|
|Renters insurance||Boat insurance|
|Farm and ranch insurance||Classic car insurance|
Recap: USAA pros and cons
|High customer satisfaction ratings for auto and home insurance||Only available for active military members, veterans and their families|
|One-stop shop for insurance including auto, home and life as well as banking and investing products|
|Had fewer than the expected number of complaints for life and home insurance compared to other companies|
Auto insurance ratings methodologyNerdWallet’s auto insurance ratings reward companies for customer-first features and practices. Ratings are based on weighted averages of scores in several categories, including financial strength, consumer complaints, website transparency and affordability. Using our editorial discretion, we also consider customer satisfaction surveys. These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews. Read our editorial guidelines.
Methodology: Insurer complaintsNerdWallet examined complaints received by state insurance regulators and reported to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in 2016-2018. To assess how insurers compare to one another, the NAIC calculates a complaint index each year for each subsidiary, measuring its share of total complaints relative to its size, or share of total premiums in the industry. To evaluate a company’s complaint history, NerdWallet calculated a similar index for each insurer, weighted by market shares of each subsidiary, over the three-year period. Ratios are determined separately for auto, home (including renters and condo) and life insurance.