Advertiser Disclosure

IRS Phone Number: There’s More Than One; Here’s a List

The main number is 800-829-1040, but there are several other under-the-radar IRS phone numbers that could get you what you need.
July 30, 2019
Income Taxes, Personal Taxes, Taxes
At NerdWallet, we strive to help you make financial decisions with confidence. To do this, many or all of the products featured here are from our partners. However, this doesn’t influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.

The official IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but that’s not the only number you can dial to get help. Few people know there are other IRS phone numbers to try. We’ve gathered a range of them to so that you can reach precisely the people you need. We’ve also included links to our articles on a number of topics, which might save you a call.

IRS phone number list: Find the number specific to your tax issue

Self-employed taxpayers with account or tax law questions800-829-4933Learn more about this topic
Identity and refund theft victims800-908-4490Learn more about this topic
Disaster victims866-562-5227Learn more about this topic
Overseas taxpayers267-941-1000Learn more about this topic
Balance due questions800-829-0922; 800-829-7650; 800-829-3903Learn more about this topic
Estate and gift tax questions866-699-4083Learn more about this topic here and here
Excise tax questions866-699-4096
Report phishing and other scams800-366-4484Learn more about this topic
Check status of a tax refund800-829-1954Learn more about this topic
Check status of a tax refund being held866-897-3315Learn more about this topic
Check status of an amended tax return866-464-2050Learn more about this topic
Order a tax transcript800-908-9946
Verify, payoff or resolve a tax lien800-913-6050Learn more about this topic
See if bankruptcy changed your tax debt800-973-0424Learn more about this topic
Innocent spouse relief866-681-4271Learn more about this topic
Lost ITIN documents800-908-9982
Status of application for Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number737-800-5511
Taxpayer Advocate Service877-777-4778
International Taxpayer Advocate, English787 522-8601
International Taxpayer Advocate, Spanish787 522-8600
For the hearing impaired (TTY/TDD)800-829-4059
Schedule an appointment with a local IRS office844-545-5640
Whistleblower hotline800-829-0433
Tax preparers and tax pros with account or tax law questions800-829-8374
Tax preparers and tax pros with e-filing questions866-255-0654
Tax practitioner priority service866-860-4259
Overseas tax professionals512-416-7750;
Corporate taxpayers, partnerships and nonprofits866-255-0654
Nonprofits with tax law or filing questions877-829-5500
Government and tax-exempt entities877-829-5500
International businesses that want an Employer Identification Number (EIN)267-941-1099
Domestic employers, payers and transmitters who need e-filing tech support866-455-7438
International employers, payers and transmitters who need e-filing tech support304-263-8700

Other tips for calling the IRS

  • The IRS operates Taxpayer Assistance Center offices in every state. To see their addresses and phone numbers, click on your state on the list of Taxpayer Assistance locations. Note: you can’t just show up at an office any time. You have to make an appointment by calling 844-545-5640.
  • Every state also has at least one local Taxpayer Advocate center that is independent of the local IRS office and reports to the National Taxpayer Advocate. You can see the addresses and phone numbers for every Taxpayer Advocate office here.

Watch out for IRS phone scams

You can call every IRS phone number you want, but the IRS will rarely call you. It initiates most contacts, including demands for payment, through regular mail from the U.S. Postal Service. In special circumstances, the agency will call or come to a home or business when:

  • A taxpayer has an overdue tax bill.
  • To secure a delinquent tax return.
  • To secure a delinquent employment tax payment.
  • To tour a business as part of an audit or during criminal investigations.

Avoid tax scams. The IRS does not:

  • Call you to demand payment.
  • Initiate contact with you via email, text or social media.
  • Ask you to pay your tax bill with prepaid cards, gift cards or wire transfers.
  • Threaten to call the police, immigration officers or other people to arrest you.
  • Revoke your driver’s license, business license or immigration status.

About the author