- Offers full range of term, whole, universal and variable universal life.
- Offers survivorship life insurance.
- So-so customer satisfaction scores.
AXA Equitable Life Insurance is part of the France-based AXA Group and is one of the largest life and retirement savings companies in the U.S.
NerdWallet rank: 10th
AXA ranked No. 10 out of 18 large companies scored by NerdWallet. NerdWallet’s life insurance company rankings combine its A.M. Best rating, consumer complaints and J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction score.
A.M. Best financial strength rating: A+ (superior)
AXA’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best.
Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims. It’s especially important when choosing a life insurance company because claims might not be made until many decades after a policy is purchased.
Consumer complaints: Better than the median
AXA drew fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2015 for a company of its size, according to the latest data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The association assigns a complaint ratio score to insurance companies, based on the number of complaints to state insurance commissioners, adjusted for market share. The median score is 1. A score less than 1 means fewer complaints. AXA’s score for individual life insurance in 2015 was .11.
J.D. Power ratings: average to below average
AXA Equitable scored “about average” for policy offerings, billing and payments and otherwise ranked among “the rest” (lowest possible rating) in a 2016 J.D. Power customer service survey. The insurer ranked No. 13 overall out of 21 companies included in the survey.
|AXA’s customer satisfaction scores|
|Overall satisfaction||The rest|
|Billing and payment||About average|
|Policy offerings||About average|
|Source: J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Life Insurance Study|
|AXA products sold|
Every life insurance company has its own rules about when applications will be denied or priced higher. Here’s a closer look at some of AXA’s underwriting guidelines for getting the best life insurance quote, called “preferred elite:”
- Blood pressure: For preferred elite non-tobacco rates, applicants up to age 59 should have blood pressure no higher than 140/85; 150/90 is the cutoff for ages 60-69.
- Driving while intoxicated: There should be no history of DWI and no reckless driving in the past five years.
- Nicotine: Applicants must have had no nicotine use for the past five years.
- Substance abuse: For the best rates, there must be no history of alcohol or drug abuse.