All-nighters, ramen diets and heavy tuition fees don’t exactly spell glamour, but college life isn’t without its perks.
For example, as a student, you can save on school supplies, electronics, clothing and more — and not just during back-to-school season, but throughout the rest of the year as well. You just have to know where to look.
- Amazon: Use your school email address to sign up for a free six-month trial of Prime Student, and get free two-day shipping on eligible items, promotions, Prime Video streaming and unlimited photo storage. Once the trial period is over, Amazon will upgrade you to a regular Prime membership at a 50% discount.
- Apple: The technology giant is known to offer special prices through its Education Store during the summer months or include a gift with purchase. Through Sept. 25, it’s offering up to $300 off select Macs and up to $20 off the iPad Pro, plus giving away free Beats Solo3, Powerbeats3 or BeatsX headphones with qualifying purchases. There’s also an Apple Music student rate of $4.99 per month — regularly $9.99 — for up to four years. Verify your enrollment through Unidays before you shop the deals.
- Asos: Students can take 10% off full-price items if they register with the fashion retailer. The store will send a reusable discount code via email following registration.
- Banana Republic: Present your valid student ID at an in-store checkout to receive 15% off a full-priced purchase.
- Best Buy: Create a free My Best Buy account online and sign up for Student Deals. You’ll receive coupon codes via email that you can use to save on laptops, school supplies, accessories and more online or in stores.
- Dell: Visit the Dell University section of the retailer’s website to shop deals on laptops, PCs, TVs, video game consoles and more.
- Express: Take 15% off your in-store or online purchase. Verify your student status with Unidays to apply the discount online. Some exclusions apply.
- J. Crew: Present your student ID at checkout to take 15% off your in-store purchase.
- Lenovo: Go to Lenovo’s Academic Purchase Program page and select your state and school to browse discounts on laptops, tablets and desktops.
- Levi’s: Register with Unidays or sign in to your existing account to take 15% off your online purchase.
- Madewell: Get a 15% discount on in-store purchases when you present your student ID.
- Microsoft: Save 10% or more on select Microsoft electronics, software and more. Just head to the website’s Education Store page and log in or sign up for a free Microsoft account. Once you do, the site will automatically apply your discount.
- PacSun: Students with Student Beans accounts receive a 10% discount on online apparel orders.
- Pottery Barn Teen: Receive 15% off your online purchase when you register an .edu email address with the site — you’ll get a promo code — or your in-store purchase when you show your student ID.
- Topshop: Log in to Student Beans or create an account to get a discount code worth 10% off your online orders.
Keep your eyes peeled for National Student Discount Day, a social media holiday launched by the on-campus ambassador platform University Beyond in partnership with verification service SheerID. In 2016, National Student Discount Day landed on Aug. 24 and featured one-day promotions from brands like ZipCar, Staples and Spotify. Follow the hashtag #NSDD for up-to-date information.
Museums, movie theaters and gyms tend to offer student discounts year-round, and you might find other businesses that’ll give you a price cut if you ask. Be sure to keep your ID handy.
Updated July 24, 2017.