- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months, then the variable standard purchase APR of 10.99% - 20.99%*
- Earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at Department Stores and everywhere you shop online through December, as well as in categories that change throughout the year like gas, restaurants, and department stores up to the quarterly maximum. It's free and easy to sign up.*
- Up to 20% Cashback Bonus at popular retailers when you shop online through Discover.com
- Discover is ranked #1 in customer loyalty--16 years in a row! (2012 Brand Keys Customer Loyalty Engagement Index report)
- 24/7 access to a U.S.-based Account Manager within 60 seconds
- $0 Fraud Liability. You're never responsible for unauthorized charges on your Discover card account, plus mobile and email fraud alert options
- Great rewards with no annual fee, no rewards redemption fee, and no additional card fee
- *Click apply to view rates, fees, rewards, limitations and other important information
Min APR: 10.99%, Variable
Max APR: 20.99%, Variable
Penalty APR: Up to 25.99%, Variable
Cash Advance APR: 24.99%, Variable
- No annual fee
- 0% for 14 mos on transfers
- No foreign transaction fee
0.25% for first $3,000 /yr then 1.00%
Purchase: 0% for 14 mos
Transfer: 0% for 14 mos
Aw nerds! It looks like this page may be out of date. Please visit NerdWallet's Best Credit Cards page for updated info.
There are several different versions of the Discover® More® Card. This one is middle of the road, in that it has an APR of 0% for 14 months on purchases and balance transfers, and then the ongoing APR of 10.99% - 20.99% Variable . There is also a version of Discover® More® Card with an even longer balance transfer period (but shorter purchase APR period).
Which Discover® More® Card should I get?
Between the two Discover® More® Card versions, we'd go with the long duration balance transfer version if you already carry a balance. In all other situations, go with this one.
But the question is, should you even get Discover® More® Card in the first place?
If you carry a balance, or may run up a balance in the future, the Discover® More® Card offers better introductory APR terms than either of its main competitors, however if you're only interested in rewards, you should look at a different card.
The tiered rebate structure of the Discover® More® Card makes it appear to lag behind competitors from a rewards perspective. The rewards program is a lot like the Chase Freedom® and the Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Visa® Card , but it suffers from a tiered base rate, and low caps on quarterly bonus categories.
Worse than your typical rewards card
You only get a full 1% cash back after you reach $3,000 in spending each year, which is NOT normal for credit cards - typically, even the most basic rewards cards offer you 1% back from the start. On top of that, the card is on the Discover network, which has only about 90% of the merchant acceptance of Visa/MasterCard in the US, and a tiny fraction of that when traveling overseas.
Below is an overview of the cash back structure.
Tiered Cash Back Rebate Calculation:
The cash back rebate is based on annual spending on the card.
- 0.25% on first $3,000 spent each year
- 1.0% after $3,000 annual spend
- Rebates are unlimited and don't expire
With the Discover® More® Card, you can also enjoy additional 5% cash back rebates on various categories of purchases that change on a quarterly basis. Bonus rewards are capped, with most quarters being capped at $400 of spending, or $20 of extra rewards. Bonus category spending is also not counted toward the $3,000 tier-ing levels on the base rewards rate.
Below is a sample calendar.
- First Quarter: 5% rebates on airlines, hotels, car rentals and cruises
- Second Quarter: Rebates on home and fashion retailers
- Third quarter: Gas, hotels and theme parks
- Fourth quarter: Supermarkets, restaurants and movies
Where the Discover® More® Card really shines is the ShopDiscover.com portal. When you use ShopDiscover to access more than 100 online retailers, you will receive additional 5-20% cash back bonuses, making it one of the most lucrative online shopping portals available. Check out our breakdown of ShopDiscover rewards vs its competitors.
NerdWallet reviews are the result of independent research by our editorial team while cardholder reviews are contributions from independent users not affiliated with NerdWallet. Banks, issuers and credit card companies are not responsible for any content posted on the NerdWallet site, nor do they endorse or guarantee any posted comments or reviews.